How to: Fix gearstick not springing back

Had a problem on my daily, this seems to be a common problem: the gearstick doesn't spring back to the middle position when shifting gears! Saw some text guides on how to fix it, and decided to document my progress.

Step 1. Get said car up on ramps/jacks. I used industrial ramps. Here is a shot of the underside, and the bolts you need to remove to get to the assembly. They are 5x10mm.
31368387.jpg

Step 2. Remove the broken spring.
18688447.jpg

Step 3. Replace or bend the spring back into original shape. It won't last forever if you bend it, but it's a free fix :)
20900203.jpg

Step 4. Picture of spring bent back into shape:
94615656.jpg

Step 5. Reattach the spring (not pictured completely, my hands were too dirty for the camera :/)
48367324.jpg

There you have it. A simple fix for a common problem :D

Had a problem on my daily, this seems to be a common problem: the gearstick doesn't spring back to the middle position when shifting gears! Saw some text guides on how to fix it, and decided to document my progress.

Step 1. Get said car up on ramps/jacks. I used industrial ramps. Here is a shot of the underside, and the bolts you need to remove to get to the assembly. They are 5x10mm.
31368387.jpg

Thanks a million.

Just bought a k11c 2001 1ltr and it has the same problem. I searched all over tinternet for similar problems before I saw your post. Pictures are great thanks.

having sourced, eventually, and paid, through the nose for one of these to one of the linked suppliers off here, i'm keen to know where you can access parts at a reasonable price and via a gsf/eurocarparts easy to use website.

Done mine today.different spring.took some pics for size reference.
Feels stiff,the one i put on.could loosen up over time.

20130615_141906.jpg
20130615_141858.jpg
20130615_141825.jpg
20130615_141815.jpg

you could do it from the top of the gearstick,,,,i-side the car u-der the gear surrou-d plastics,,little elastic.

That's fine, it's a 50mm length spring, I can now go rummaging through our sundries trays at work and find some suitable springs :)

ahh found the tablet pc input panel,,,,,,,,my n's and b's are back :)

the spring part is 20-25 mm :) your not to good at springs at all are you ? :)

Back