How a car is made (Nissan's Sunderland factory)

god its like being at work all over again lol *if ya hadnt guessed* i work there lol!!!!!!! its hard work too!!!! good old nissan:unclesam:

You actually drive what you build? I have no interest in owning a Caterham, 40hrs a week is enough time for me to spend time around them!

i owned it b4 i worked there lol but my micra has a personality its like herbie or something wold never sell it (unless need be) shame it wont drive for me lol
we do 4 days on 4 days off lol im not complaining 2 days 2 nights its like having 5 days off in 8 class i think it also works out on a good month we do 16 days at work lol down side is 12hour and 20 min shifts lol:suspect:

that is so gay they actually went past me and filmed me for this vid but i must have got edited out god just when a thought a had seen the back of that place for the weekend a watch this money is ok about 1500 basic pay like for a manufacturing staff but its hard work and the pressure is hard the quashqai is a relativaly easy car to build its like puttin lego togeather well for me it is but the line is runnin so fast we build a car in 1.10 seconds on a basic day we would build about 380 cars a shift with over time on about 480 personaly i think the figures are weird because the amount of cars we are building it seems that every one in the world would have to be driving a nissan

i think thats amazing, you should give yourself a pad on your back for the hard work you put in for our nissan cars! :blush:

so which process are you responsible for? i dont know if this job require highly skilled and qualified people to carry out but if it doesnt then 1500 is really good!

ya kiddin is intelegent peopel ha ha

if a can work there any one can lol its not about being clever its about having a good skill level and a good understanding of what you are doing to the car

tse_adam at the moment i am learning a new job but at the moment i know 3 jobs two are the same job kinda but different sides of the car and the other job is one station down lol i put both left hand and right hand struts on to the car but people are like thats it but no wait there is more (lol JML advert) i have to route harnesses put a heather duct on then a kick plate as well as an spl bolt then fit the strut all in a minute and 10 seconds thats a drivers side car if its a passenger side that comes down 2 me i put a drain pipe on to the facia a rubber gromit a pct relay then a sat nav connection then a kick plate again then finaly i get to put the strut on

job no.3 is boring i put a tweeter grill on to the facia then a "A" post map lamp and a gravity sensor depending on what moddel it is it might need a sun roof switch if its a jap car it gets a auto light sensor a air bag sticker as well as the tweerer grill etc then i go to the back of the car put a straw in to the boot lock so after its closed you can open it back up (ovo it doesnt stay in after the car is built ) then i put on what is know at work as madonas boobies lol they are actually cone shaped bits of metal called bumper cones then its on to the next car to start it all over again

while all of this is goin on as you might have seen in the video the floor actually moves itys great when it cant move or it breaks down

if there was no cars in that vid, i'd have guessed it was the toyota factory in derby where i work. looks exactly the same. money is about the same aswell. and yes, it is very hard work and high skill level involved.

Great vid! thanks :)

Good to see a fair amount of Humans having some input into these cars...the Robots havn't won yet... lol!

Couple of questions for nissanmicrak12 or Jim_bling :)

In theory it'd be nice to sell a quashqai every 8 hrs but in reality it doesn't happen, so how does Nissan figure out how many cars to build and what happens to the Cars they can't sell?

that is left to the boffins of nissan they have to try and work out if it will sell and where etc its just really guess work but i dont get it though for all the cars we build it seems that every one in the world should be drivin a nissan its mainly the rest of the world that buy them japan was our biggest buyer but now japan have taken there model off us and are building it at the japan plant insted

i work there anyways :D its very intresting to watch it in real life! it sticks throught the paint tho lol, even when you drive past!

apparently, if someone at NMUK pours say, solvent down a drain,and enviroment people get wind, nissan gets a £40k fine. i think it will go up or down on seriouseness tho. its weird lol, nearly everone i spoke to at NMUK say they would never drive a nissan but i guess its like that with any car plants lol. i agree with jim tho, the amount of cars they make, you wounder where there all going. shud see all the parts we had to toss out on friday, full parts of say wheels, lights, suspention, you name it, looked imaculate but was going in the skips! ill let jim explain the "graveyard" tho lol ;)

21.jpg

the very bottom small warehouse at the bottom, on the top-right bottom of the press shop....

thats where i work, vantec, previously known as autrans.....

It's all a bit flasher than the Ford plant outside Southampton where they make the Transit van. It's one of the sites I get to go round in my job, it's nowhere near as bright and linear, probably because it's been there for over 40 years, so you can understand it looking a bit cobbled together. Lots less robots, and there's no longer a press shop, but some of it looks similar... I suppose the other plants suffer the same parts supply and QC probs.

One thing, with the discounts the staff get, most of the carpark has Ford group motors.

As for all the Quashqai, if they can't get the figures right, there's probably a field or two of the things somewhere!

thats a old pic like, about 2-3 years old, the turbines arnt there (fitted late 2005) and now in that car park in the middle of the pic, there building a big new warehouse.

i was round there today on my FLT, had pait cans on the front, pretending to be lost but really having a 20 to 3 till finish time wander round lol, went all thru paint, then trim and chassis, cudnt go thru press shop, no saftey specs, so dumped paint in red bin n went back lol, dam them roads are bumpy with no suspention!

you dont know mick arthur by-chance do you guys, works in engine shop, testin before there fitted?

Back