HKS turbo kit

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
You don't have to run an intercooler with a turbo, but it's often a good idea to. If you're concerned about it you could just use water/methanol injection. If memory serves, those kits are usually run with ~4psi or so and are possibly just used with standard injectors. For $500 it's really not a bad setup at all if you just want a little bit more power :)

---dens

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Mimz WROTE:

"Would the standard ecu be able to pick up positive boost?

Personally if I were going to use that setup I'd be rather tempted go for a 5th injector setup with something equivalent to the now-ancient Haltech F5 or look at using UKDM GA16 injectors (which fit into the standard K11 rail, not to be confused with AUDM GA16 injectors, which don't) with a basic piggyback ECU or possibly just an adjustable fuel reg.

If you got it, I'd just chuck it all on, tow it to a place that can do a dyno run with an AFR reading/printout and see how it goes on wastegate pressure. From there you can get an idea of how bad it needs more fuel.

In addition to that, if it were me, I'd look into water/methanol injection before thinking about touching the boost levels. Now that I think of it though, with the inbuilt AFM into the throttlebody, for a standard setup it could be a really bad idea to integrate water/meth injection with the AFM being just there. To avoid stuffing that up you could get an ECU with a MAP sensor and use that in place of the stock AFM, but then you're looking at spending money on lots of extra stuff and still have a pretty basic turbo setup. It is neat and looks pretty factory which is probably the best thing about it.

---dens

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
D.K.C WROTE:

"And SSSOOOOLLLLDDDD to me for $500 including postage.

:D

nice one DKC :)
and i think i would go for 1.6 injectors and a progressive f/p/r too, but your ignition curve will be compromised/laggy if you run the stock ecu tho eh
(stock map)

Attachments

• 59927.jpg
    59927.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 30

CMF_D.K.C

» CMF Member
yeah, already had some ga15de injectors sent over and have bought an emanage blue and a rising rate fuel reg, so i should be reasonably well set up to run it :) now to go intercooler shopping!

Also, how is clearance (generally speaking) with a turbo set-up, is a half-sized radiator necessary/recommended or is there plenty of room? Cheers for the maps frank!

P.S pics will come after the install of course!

Nah, didnt pick it up from geelong, he included postage to syd in the price :D

CMF_adz14

» CMF Member
There is buckets of room in front of/next to the micras tiny radiator already. Especially if you have no aircon. The intercooler in the kit I bought bolts in the middle in place of the factory support bar that runs from the bottom front crossmember to the bonnect catch mechanism.

Back