S

Sloper

Hello all. I'm new to this forum, new to Micras, and also new to installing car stereos, so I need some advice!
I bought a nice K11 Micra on eBay yesterday, and I want to fit a good quality stereo.. probably one that plays mp3s and hopefully has an aux-in socket so I can connect my 20gb Archos Jukebox. Any recommendations? I'm looking to spend up to around 100 quid.

Also, I want decent firm bass, not boomy, but I don't think I'll be needing a sub. Are 9x6 speakers ok in the flimsy Micra parcel shelf? Do people beef-up the shelf, or do you find it ok as it is?

As a matter of interest.. I've never heard a sub being used for the sort of music I like.. how are they with rock and blues and similar stuff?
Thanks for any info :grinning:

I can only help you with one thing on that list - my sub loves my rock music! :cool:

Welcome to the club, best advice for audio stuff is Retepetsir or mike :)

James.

i cant help on audio side of things but as for parcel shelf:

1. You dont need speakers in parcel shelf as micra is only a small car and not worth it, if your going to put them anywhere put em in rear quarters.
2. If you have your heart set on parcel shelf, A. Make sure you reinforce the shelf as it will just sag. B. Make sure you cover the speakers. i.e. stealth shelf. C. Just dont do it. D. If you have a sub expect some interferance on the speakers if they are in the shelf. E. Tint the back window as black as it will go or they will only get nicked.

We had one lad on here, forgive me if im wrong but i think its Kev-mono bu8t he had his amp and his speakers for all to see on the parcel shelf. Im amazed it never got screwed to say the least

Sloper said:
As a matter of interest.. I've never heard a sub being used for the sort of music I like.. how are they with rock and blues and similar stuff?
Thanks for any info :grinning:

MMMMmmm pink floyd wish you were here with a sub in the back :):):)

Big_ben said:
i cant help on audio side of things but as for parcel shelf:

1. You dont need speakers in parcel shelf as micra is only a small car and not worth it, if your going to put them anywhere put em in rear quarters.

Ok, sounds fine, at least I won't have to spend 75 quid on a ready-made MDF shelf that a local car stereo installer recommended today! But... what are the rear quarters? Can I use 6x9s, and is this an easy installation? What is involved?

Thanks all for the replies :)

no no no :p

The best place for them regarding sound quality is get a decent set of components up front, mount in original places, and then mount your tweeters on your dash. If you don't want any boomy base, I'd recommend 10" or maybe even 8" will give you tight bass with a good response.

I've got the parcel shelf stuff, that was due to personal preference when I installed, I now much prefer the recognised standard of putting speakers in front, why have speakers behind you when you're at the front.

6*9's are NOT suitable for playing full range, at increased volumes the cone pushes the tweeters around, this is the advantage of tweeters other than also being able to position and aim the vocals etc.

However if you run a sub too, 6*9's would be ok, as long as you either restrict their frequencies that they play.

If you do decide to go for the parcel shelf, mine sagged due to the weight. It won't cost you £75 just goto a metal scrap yard get a rectangular piece of steel the width of your shelf or wider, cut it down, drill through it and the shelf and pop rivet it on. This re-inforced mine well for the cost of about £10.

Don't forget, cutting holes in rear quarters (panels by the sides of your rear seats) will make it more difficult if you want to sell the car on.

Thanks Alienfish.
Tweeters on the dash? Hmm, this is getting more fussy than I am wanting, I think.
I have just bought this Micra. The factory fitted Blaupunkt isn't working, and I'm going to replace it with a CD/mp3 stereo HU. I haven't even heard the standard speakers that are already fitted in the car. Are these any good? Should I replace them with similar sized, but better quality ones? Is it worth just supplementing them with a small compact sub, say under the seat or somewhere else?
What simpler setups do people here run?

haha, ur not going to fit a sub under the seat that for sure and no the speakers r crap! i replaced mine with a set of DLS comps up front, had an amp running them and a 12" sub in the boot. If you have a good look around some scrappies you will find some pillar mounts with the tweeter spacers already built in - ill sell u my whole system for hmm.....£300 - cost me over £500 new - [email protected] if ur interested, could sort you wout with wiring diagram too

IIRC the standard speakers are 6.5inch. I had Infinity comps up front till I decided to see how far they would go at a party :(

but get or make a spacer ring and get some decent 6.5inch components. Normally you'll get small pods for the tweeters that allow you to blue tack them to the dash if you don't want to mount in A-Pillars etc.

With a 6.5" driver you should get some nice tight ish bass up front, however, this should ONLY REINFORCE your sub, again, I'd recommend 10" sub in the boot.

Just to let you know.. I bought a Blaupunkt Calgary HU today, for its mp3 compatibility and its aux-in feature. I connected it up to the standard Micra speakers and was very pleasantly surprised. I'm happy for now, and will look into improving it later. Thanks all for the replies :)

Back