High mounted (centre) Stop Light help

CMF_Martos

» CMF Member
Driver's side stop light and centre high mounted stop light not working. Went and got new bulbs which didn't help. Changed the 10amp fuse for stop light. Now both left and right stop lights working but centre does not. Which is the fuse for this little ****? Ta!

CMF_Martos

» CMF Member
This car drives me nuts! It could be the connection but I wonder why 2 lights would go out and then 1 would come back when i replace a (not blown) fuse. I've swapped the centre light over with my pal's one and it works okay in his. It must be the wiring somewhere but over the last while every electrical piece on the back of the car is going faulty. Heated window never works, rear wiper has stopped, reg plate light faulty.

CMF_Jon (2)

» CMF Member
Faulty earth somewhere maybe?
I'd go through the car and check the connections on the lights.
And also check all the fuses, regardless of them looking fine. I've had cases where fuses look fine; but are faulty when under load - Had this problem in my old mini

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
Sounds like earth falt or water damage/leak causing shorts.

Grab a multi meter and set it on 20v and see if you can pick up a signal on the wire.. Trace it back through the car with aligator clips testing each connection. alternatively grab two wires wack aligator clips on them. Run them from ignition/battery and pump power to the accessories. If they power up you know its wiring falt.

CMF_Martos

» CMF Member
Thanks for the replies. I have a multimeter and will attempt to as you both suggest. This might sound stupid, but where does the wiring go to get from the back to the front of the car?

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
From memory it will run (from the back to front) through the hatch and into cabin, down along the right side of the car and over to the ecu/dash. Dont quote me on that.

I would say your issue is in the rear so you wont need to go far. There should be some kind of plug/connection which you can unplug on the hatch and test the wiring comming from the cabin for power. Just look for plugs as it will enable you to hook up the multi meter without aligator clips

CMF_Martos

» CMF Member
Hi there. Did as you suggested, unplugged the connectors to the tailgate (heated window, rear wiper, upper stop light, reg plate light etc) and tested the continuity of the wiring that goes into the boot at the side of the lights. There was no continuity so the wires must be broken inside. When I tested the other connection that this plugs into in the boot, there was no power coming up the connection anyway so there are multiple faults with the wiring. Now just have to work out where the wiring goes from the boot to the dash!

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
I would say if you've removed the panels inside the car one of the power wires has grounded to chassis and causing a loop.

Goodluck

Back