HID headlights

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
I'm looking into getting a HID kit for my Facelift. Does it matter that the glass is 'frosted' or are they only for Clear Glass Headlights?

Does the beam change if shone through Frosted Glass?

Yes it'll change the beam and could well make them illegal. You'll need to do quite a few mods to make them legal anyway as the headlight design of the K11 is wrong for HIDs.

The kit I've got coming for my bike is just a direct H4 replacement, it is a HID with balast and everything but apparently it just replicates what a normal bulb does. I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference to beam pattern as it doesn't affect a normal bulb

you dont need to change anything, straight fit, shine perfect just like a normal bulb apart from 10,000,000 times brighter :p

As you as you get a decent kit with a Main/Dip change the beam pattern shouldn't change, I've tested a range of samples in the past and they only have dipped beam only, I know Ring do a set but you'll better off looking on ebay unless you have deep pockets, lol. You can get +50% Extreme Blue bulbs which are legal, RW772 (pair) or Halfords do them I think they're called Extreme Brilliance Blue or something like that.

HIDs in normal fitment lenses are illegal, to be 'legal' they must be auto levelling and have a method to clean the lens.

Well if you have no rear seats then autoleveling wont really be a problem, and I wash my car regularly so thats that sorted :p

No its not. Your not that dumb to believe that are you?????!!!!! :p

Believe what? I know it wont technically be legal but if i keep them clean and level then i know i wont be blinding people.

No thats true, BUT cops do look out for the blue hue of these lights on cars they know shouldn't have them. Just be warned - I've seen it happen

I've bought a slightly 'yellower' colour temp so it looks like daylight not blue, mine also have a sleeve inside the bulb that goes up/ down to change between main/ dipped, though on a bike it doesn't get noticed as much

Don't waste time on HID kits, just get some Philips +80 bulbs - £18 from Ebay, and they're as good if not better than the lights on my Omega. Fantastic range, sharp cutoff on dipped beam so you don't dazzle.

One of my pet hates is people with cheap HID kits on cars not designed for them - they don't have the same scatter and cutoff pattern as the headlamp unit is simply not designed for them.

But HID's draw less power giving you more amperage for sound systems etc

Ah well, the dark-clothed pedestrian staggering drunk down the country lane will be able to hear you coming, so it's his fault for not getting off the road.

HID beams are simply not as good as properly designed headlamps. The headlamp casings are not designed for the HID headlights, the beam scatter is completely wrong, and unless you're going to fit level sensors to your suspension, and a washer system, you're going to severely limit your vision and dazzle other road users unnecessarily.
Trust me, my Omega has factory xenons, when they're dirty it makes so much more difference than it does to halogens. Unless you plan on stopping and wiping your headlamps every time you use the wash-wipe on the windscreen...

Ah well, the dark-clothed pedestrian staggering drunk down the country lane will be able to hear you coming, so it's his fault for not getting off the road.

No you misunderstand, they draw less power (aropund 35watts) but give out 4 times the light, and if you buy a kit to replace a H4 bulb then they work with your headlamp and there are no problems.

The above listed problems were only with the cheap chinese crappy replicas

Biggest problem is that all legal E marked headlights are actually coded. This is not a serial number but rather relates to its approved application. This includes down to its bulb type. Any headlight approved for halogen bulbs can not be also approved for HID bulbs. This is why all retrofit HID bulbs are illegal to use on the road. You actually have to swap the hole headlight for one approved for HID and takes a standard HID bulb such as a D2S. The UK Governments Department For Transport Fact sheet on the subject http://www.dft.gov.uk/pdf/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

If you do read the DFT fact sheet don't make the common mistake of thinking this is opinion. There is only one part that is opinion. Strictly speaking any car that did not come with HIDs can not legally have them fitted (that part is fact) the part that is the DFT opinion is that they think you should be allowed to fit HIDs as long as they are to the same standards as that fitted to a new car.

I spent 95 quid on a HID kit and holder for my bike, the holder is for halogens and only blinds oncoming traffic, don't waste your money ( now speaking from experience)

No the MOT does not test the washers or self levelling systems. Though if they do notice there missing there perfectly within there right to refuse to issue use with a MOT. Though HID kits do often fail a MOT. Most common is on beam as the retrofit bulbs often throw it way out. Another is colour as many HIDs are blue or purple that are all a MOT fail. Many cars with halogen headlights turn low beam off when they turn high beam on. As HID bulbs take a few seconds to fire up and then a few more second to really get going that is a fail. Many H4 HID only have a single beam and this is a fail again. Also many cheap kits do tend to flicker or change colour and again that is a fail. Biggest problem is not the MOT but the fact a incorrect HID setup such as missing washers or missing levelling or incorrect headlight are actually illegal to use on the road. So if the police pick up on it you can get a fine, have your car confiscated or even a court summons.

:k12cop:

Back