HID Headlights

PeteST24

Ex. Club Member
Is anyone here a MOT tester or friends with one?

Want I want to know is if HID headlights are legal when fitted as an aftermarket ancillary without auto level headlights and washers?

I know for factory fitted HID lamps they have to have auto leveling and washers but I am receiving mixed veiws about aftermarket ones.

Cheers
Pete

As far as I am aware you will not pass with HIDs if youdo not have auto level headlights or the washers. I believe this has been discussed ehre before and this was the conclusion that we came up with.

Off the top of my head anyways.

Thats what I thought but some people have told me you will pass if they are aftermarket.

I think I will just use 80w headlamps instead :D

they will pass if they are Type approved and Emarked.
as long as they emit a "dipped" beam on dipped beam..lol then they should be perfectly legal.

main beam can be however you want it to be honest.

my dad Works for VOSA by the way..lol

Expense is one reason, secondly if everyone had HID we would no longer have nighttime, lol.

HID - Illegal
Cars fitted with HID for example 85122 (D2S), 85126 (D2R), 85402 (D1S) and 85406 (D1R) these have fully emarked ballasts and bulbs.

You can fit them and when the MOT is due just replace with original bulbs. I test sample kits all the time, most kits only have the dipped beam, Ring/Prism have Dipped and Main selection as well as a couple of other companys. Usual kelvin temperature bought is 5100 degrees Kelvin this is a White light the higher the scale the bluer the light output. For example if you had a 10,000 degrees Kelvin HID kit light will be as blue as a Sportz Blue headlamp bulb but much much brighter.

There are many normal bulbs out there you can buy to increase brightness, I've sorted Olly98 with some Philips GT150 and he'll tell you how impressed he is.

Back