HID lights on micras

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
Hi all,

i just got a HID kit for the beast off ebay and on closer inspection IT WONT WORK!

i just thought i'd warn everyone that HID kits wont work on micras...

why?

the HID kit doesn't support main beam so when you switch to main beam your headlights switch off!!! this may still pass an MOT if you have driving lamps but i doubt it

also they do not support dip and dim. so when you have the sidelights on and the engine running, your headlights should be on but just dim, with HID they are just off.

but i have fitted them to my driving lamps and they work really well so i will do a guide in the k11 section on how to fit them,

the main problem is that H4 bulbs have two filiments for main beam and diped beam but HID lights only have one. so any micra with a h4 fitment (all of them) they will not work...

You can get hid kits which move the bulb and the you get dip and main.

They have a single bulb and are moved by motor etc. If you then added a water jet on the front of the headlights, and a way to level them they would be technically legal.

you Don't need washers to Pass mot that is only on factory installed HIDS

They have a single bulb and are moved by motor etc. If you then added a water jet on the front of the headlights, and a way to level them they would be technically legal.

they have a solinoid that moves a reflector but you can now get twin xenons in H4 but not for under £500

Its not being slated, however its irrelevent how cheap an item is if it doesn't do the job! :)

but they do..
thats the point...
they have a dipped voltage switch..... trust me i asked them this yestrday....

that makes no difference. Main beam and dipped lights have totally different optic pattens. You cannot dip one to make the other etc.

but thats what the refraction marks are for on the lenses.... and why you have to have levelers on modern cars, as they dont have those marks...

but thats what the refraction marks are for on the lenses.... and why you have to have levelers on modern cars, as they dont have those marks...

if you compare both a left hand drive head light the a right hand drive headlight you will see that it isnt the lense that makes the beam pattern but the reflector inside the headlight

erm, self levelers and cleaners are so you don't blind people, a concession as xenons are a damned sight brighter.

Putting them in aftermarket is a dodgy area as far as I'm aware, i'm not sure on the legalities and to be honest I think it's wrong unless you are going to fit a self leveler, missaligned lights are bad news at the best of times. What happens if you have a group of mates in the car? have you seen how much the back of a micra drops with people in the back? You'd be blinding everyone, if I came accross a car that was obviously blinding everyone, HID or not I'd stop them and at the very least get a lecture on safe driving practices.

ill ask me dad,,,,,

he's the head of the north east division of VOSA and one of only 27 fully affiliated and qualified Vehicle examiners in the country.... so what he says goes..lol

but ill have to ask him first,,

oh and GRRRR my posts have been on 799 for about three days now????????

well mine are fine in the driving lamps because you don't have them on when there are other cars about,

also even if the cheap kits support dip/dim raised and lowered, they can still be ilegal because the lights take time to fire up which causes colour change which is ilegal, mine were as cheap as they come at £99 but you switch them on and you get a massive flash of light then they go dim and then slowly warm up...

auto levelers are recommended but not required you can pass an MOT without them

Attachments

• 16-12-06_1635.jpg
    16-12-06_1635.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 16-12-06_1634.jpg
    16-12-06_1634.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 182
Back