hi , I'm new and i need your help.

N

nobber

hi folks,
I'm in need of some help with my 1.3 n reg micra.
i was given a link to this forum when i asked for some advice on my cars starting problem.
it all started yesterday morning, i tried to start it and nothing , zip.
the motor was turning over and over and nothing.
i tried starting it as you would a flooded engine , i.e foot to the floor and crank it until it fires. which it did, eventually and very reluctantly. it then drove normally and even started first kick after being switched off for a few hours as it usually did.
this morning however was a different story , it wouldn't start no matter what.
i pulled out a plug and it was soaking in petrol and when i looked down into the piston there was a puddle of fuel on there. it seems to be over fueling itself.
can anyone help me with this? I'm lost with fuel injection , efi etc so please be gentle.

thanks sonic , i'l have a look.

ok , from what i can gather its one of three things.

ive got a very bright strong spark so my ignition system is ok.

the first thing is the temp cold start coolant sensor. now i dont have a clue what this is , where it is or what it does. can any one set me straight on this? this is a cold start problem so it might not be this.

second is an air flow sensor , again i dont know what this is , where it is etc.

last is the fuse box behind the radiator , apparently some of these fuses , is corroded can cause flooding. i will check these in the morning.

i tried taking out the fuse for the fuel pump and cranking it a few times but this didnt help.

any ideas?

also , apparently there is an issue with a harness for the coolant sensor and someone told me that putting a rersistor on it helps , any one know anything about this harness?

ask k10daz as i have faxed him all the information recently,

youve got to do a few things first, make sure the base idle is 550 - 600 when all loads are off

make sure the ignition timing is 15 degrees

then if i still over fuels on start up when cold, if you ask k10daz what the part number for the coolant temperature sensor harness mod as i faxed him it all the other week, it only costs around £8.61 or something like that for the harness

if none of the above work then you will have to look into it futher

thanks fordy , can you tell me what the base idle is?

i will get the harness and see if this helps although ive read that the only difference between the new modded harness and the old one is a 15kohm resistor wired in parallel to the sensor. the part No for the harness is B407950B00.
ive also read that the mass air flow meter might need cleaned up but this apparently is just the single point micra (not sure what that is).
so , where is this mass air flow meter?

http://www.motor.org.uk/documentlibrary/Tech Talk/Tech Talk - November 2004.pdf
(PAGE 3 , SECOND PARAGRAPH.)

thanks fordy , can you tell me what the base idle is?

i will get the harness and see if this helps although ive read that the only difference between the new modded harness and the old one is a 15kohm resistor wired in parallel to the sensor. the part No for the harness is B407950B00.
ive also read that the mass air flow meter might need cleaned up but this apparently is just the single point micra (not sure what that is).
so , where is this mass air flow meter?

http://www.motor.org.uk/documentlibrary/Tech Talk/Tech Talk - November 2004.pdf
(PAGE 3 , SECOND PARAGRAPH.)

single point micra?

thats confusing as all k11 are direct injection.... the air flow meter is behind the throttle body. (under the black air box)

All the stuff on the cold start problem is in my toolbox at work, ill grab it today an bring it home for ya mate!

When this happens on my wifes Micra I simply pull the fuel pump fuse out and it starts readily on a wide open throttle .... pop fuse back in and off we go!

When this happens on my wifes Micra I simply pull the fuel pump fuse out and it starts readily on a wide open throttle .... pop fuse back in and off we go!
i tried that , i got it started the other day by holding the throttle wide open and starting it with the key , took a while but it fired right up.
i drove it around for 40 mins or so , parked it up , went that evening to collect my girlfriend from work and it started fine , parked up and the next morning , nothing.
i just called nissan who said it could be the mass flow air thingy and it will cost around 400 notes to fix although they would need to diagnose it fully first. i cant throw 400 notes at the car.:down:

just out of curiosity ,how much do you guys reckon this car is worth in its present condition?
its got 10 months mot and 3 months tax ,4 new tyres , brakes on each corner , exhaust for last mot.
its an n reg 1.3.

OK guys , just to re-cap , i re-soldered the throttle body , fiddled around with a green relay beside the battery then turned it over with some easy start with the petrol pump fuse out and it fired up like it normally would except for a puff of white smoke from the exhaust.
its running quite well now but its really lumpy on idle. when idling its as if the mix screw has been turned down, its idling too low in the revs now. might just need a good service but one thing i have noticed is , even though the battery is in good shape , when i put the heater on , it speeds up with the engine revs , could my battery be ######ed?

anyways , hopefully its sorted but i will try it in the morning , fingers crossed.

Back