HELP! Timing belt replacement

D

Dayna

I have a 1988 Micra, and the timing belt broke on it.
I need to know what the timing marks are and how they line up.
Anyone have a diagram or a repair manual? I need help ASAP please!

Thanks!

Oops!

Sorry,

I forgot to mention that I do not have a manual. I have one ordered, but it isn't here yet and I need to fix the car before tomorrow.

I appreciate any help I can get. :grinning:

the engine will be damaged. There is about 1 in 100 chance that even if you get the beld back on it will work as it did before it broke.

You need a new engine or a new Micra, check eBay for cars in your area with tax and mot if you need one for tomorrow!

read the haynes manual

Just buy the haynes service and repair manual and pick up a new timing belt for around ten quid and do it yourself. takes about 2-3 hours for a novice (No need for a new car)

Im gonna change my timing belt and water pump soon just need so more tools.

Mrk10.. his timing belt broke.. so his internals will be damaged badly, maybe even beyond and economic repair, its not as simple as his timing being out and so change the belt and do the timing... his belt has broken

Thanks

Weel, I got a copy of the Hanes manual (they are very hard to find here in Canada!), and I am going to attempt it myself. It doesn't look like anything else is damaged.

Thanks for your help

you will probably find that the head is bent beyond repair plus more stuff broken aswell cheaper to get an engine from a scrapyard then fit the engine in yourself

it wont be beyond repair, it will need new valves most likely, the rest will probably be ok, unless they are unlucky.

i have had a few k10's in the past and hav had timing belts snap without causing damage. get a timing belt and try £10 is not bad to see.

dont just jump to conclusions

I guess this is a case of what could happen when it does snap. Ok it may not be as bad as i could, but then again it might not be a simple ten pound replacement and job done! Only he'l know how bad his engine is because of the belt breaking

There is a very high chance of valve damage, I'd take the head off and check the valves. take the exhaust manifold off and take a look at the valve stems if it has cought bad you will see that they are bent. If you want to try just changing the belt then go for it, I will be really interested in seeing if it works, i'll be suprised if it does!!!

Cheers
Amy

If you buy the belt fit it and turn the engine. If there are unusual noises then one or more valves are bent. Run the engine for a while and if there is no water loss then it is worth taking the head off and replacing the bent valves. There are two timing points only. If you have the crankshaft pulley keyslot at the top then the camshaft pulley is an upside down triangle with the pin on top.

Back