help please

B

Baker

I was jacking my car up & just before I was about to lower it the jack went through the sill & the car was being supported by the floor. the holes a bit bigger than the square on the jacks that are supplied with the car. The hole can only be seen if you look under the car. Ive been told that it can have a plate welded over it to sort it out, but will the car still be able to be jacked up safely (its the back passenger if that helps) & will it pass its next mot. Anybody had an identical problem? Whats the best way to repair it. (how do I put images onto my threads)

use www.moddedmicras.co.uk/upload to host your images, then copy the links into here.

I think a weld if a good enough job is done should be perfectly ok to jack the car up.. i mean welds are pretty strong, e.g. the micra itself is welded together in various places to make it a complete car! Although you havent suggested it, i wouldnt recommend filling and fibre glass! It may look good and be cheap, but it certainly wont hold the weight of the car.

a little tip mate, never use the sill to jack up any car i always use the subframe or someware i know will be solid :) hope you get it sorted though bud

chie said:
never use the sill to jack up any car i always use the subframe or someware i know will be solid :)

Have to stress how important that is! Put it this way, i never and my jack came through the footweld! :0

well

k10's dont have subframes, you can use the origional jack on the sills where its supposed to go, but if you use a trolly jack theres a place each side at the front, and at the rear use the towing eye.

or use the rear suspension bracket. solid aswell., other than that never use the flat underside of the car. not enough contours to give it rigidness./
but yes yuou can have a plate welded to the underside. if it at the rear though. is it actually on the sill itself?? outside edge of the lip?
if sop then yes. you can and yes it will pass mot. aslong as it done properly and then well uindersealed afterwards aswell

my first micra had a plate on the sill where someone had jacked it up on an area of the sill away from the toughened jacking point. There is a reason you should line your jack up with the notches on the sill!!! :p

hi this is what it looked like before I started the rest of the repairing:
http://www.moddedmicras.co.uk/upload/files/1-IMG_0274.JPG.

At the moment Ive covered the whole rusting in Hammerites kurust which stops the rust cotinuing & so Its safe to spray over. Ive bodged around the plate to give it a smoother finish. Anybody heard of Either Tektol (i think thats how its spelt) or African black underseal, a lad that comes into my workplace reccommended it, but I cant find it in any shops. Is it available to the public. It used to be used to protect the underneath of trains. If not whats the best underseal that available to the public.

Thanks

Back