Help! K12 front wiper linkage!!?!!?

Hi,

I wish i'd have seen this forum before my extensive and fruitless search..

my wife has destroyed the front linkage on her Micra k12 (53)

Anyone have any ideas where i can pick one up? Ive tried all our local breakers (hastings) and it would appear that these are as rare as rocking horse s***.

Im happy to pay for delivery its just that Nissan want £250 for a new linkage and motor when these is nothing wrong with the current motor, they say its a set and thats how it need to be ordered. Oh and they also say its gonna take 21days!??!

Please please please let me know the details for anyone you think might be able to help.

Regards.

BuG

this might help!!!

hi, i had a similar issue took to a garage and found out it was the linkage arms plastic ball joints had failed - they wanted to charge me £££££££ to fix it - I searched the internet b4 saying yes and found the replacement kit for just the arms for alot less - ( www.wiperlinkages.com ). took me a hour of my time to fit but have had no more issues at all - very pleased with them and that i saved .....!!!!alot!!!.....! of money too!!

The link bars on my wife's Micra failed a few months ago, they popped off in the snow, Seems to be a common fault with them.

I bought a pair of bars of this guy on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-MICRA-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb2d7a668.

I got round to fitting them this afternoon, You need to remove the wiper arms with a 13mm socket, Then remove the plastic shuttle which is quite easy, just a couple of Philips screws and a wiggle and it lifts off.

Now you have excess to the wiper motor and link bars, unclip the plug from the motor and unbolt the 3 13mm bolts holding the motor and arms to place and the 3 10mm nuts/bolts on the left side of the mechanism also holding it do place.

The whole assembly then lifts out, The old bars have knuckle joints on the end will have worn and fallen off, discard these and use the new bars from the ebay link above, You'll need some grease on the end and you'll have hammer them on as they are quite tight.

Once all fitted it's a case of putting it all back together the way it came off.

Alternatively, get your tamed friendly local mechanic to do it for you, It should cost a hours labour tops.

Hi there,

There are a number of options to fix the Micra K12 wiper linkage issue.

To list a few:
· Buy a genuine new arm for approximately £100 and wait for it to wear again.
· Grind off the plastic socket and spot welds the right size washer over the ball. This being the most popular fix for garage mechanics.
· Buy a spring clip on ebay/Amazon and keep your fingers crossed that it doesn’t ping off. http://www.amazon.co.uk/WINDSCREEN-WIPER-LINKAGE-REPAIR-CLIP/dp/B007BADIP6
· Hold the ball and socket together with a screw and nut as described below:

Drill through the mild steel ball with a 4mm drill. No need to centre punch as there is already a pop mark present. Drill through the plastic socket with a 5mm drill to give adequate lateral movement. Again a centre mark is present on the back of the plastic socket. A bench/pillar drill would be best but a hand held drill and vice would suffice.

Use an M4 x 30mm screw along with a couple of nuts and washers. The nut should be hand tight with sufficient free movement to the ball and socket. A lock nut is essential to maintain this movement. Tighten the two nuts against each other and presto.

An observation on disassembly: Nissan seem to overgrease these joints. A plastic joint needs very little and sometimes works best almost dry.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/me_owd_china/Micra K12/Micralinkrepair.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/me_owd_china/Micra K12/Micralinkrepair1.jpg

A plastic joint needs very little and sometimes works best almost dry.

Best tip in this thread so far. I recently had to replace my linkages with the eBay set. If you put too much grease in the socket, they will NOT clip on because air gets trapped in the socket. A thin smear and you should be ok.

Hi

What was the sounds you got.

My wipers have just died, I can hear the motor turning, and a quiet clunk clunk clunk of something moving, but the blades don't move.

Was this the rods?

Thanks

Same symptoms as you, wipers are absolutely still but you hear the motor whirring.

Yes, identical symptoms. My fix is still going strong. The best thing to do is remove the wiper arms and grill panel and have a look. At least one of the ball/socket joints will have separated.

holy thread resurrection robin!

I think i've just had this happen this morning- thanks for the advice, will hopefully be able to sort it soon! :)

I ordered the ebay kit (was £34, same supplier as the website above, will put up a link) around 10am the problem happened, by pub o'clock that eve the linkage was on my workbench- very easy job except smacking my head on the awkward bonnet shape of the k12 (?!) several times.

it arrived the next morning and I was back on the road in hours- kudos to the supplier, fantastic service.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171185882168?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

also I could tell these had been played with before as the drivers side wiper was not set correctly and the joints seemed overly greased, all now sorted.

hopefully that's my "teething trouble" with the k12 over and I can expect many miles of trouble free motoring ;)

Edit:
... very easy job except smacking my head on the awkward bonnet shape of the k12 (?!) several times

I do this every week when I do my underbonnet checks (oil/washer/brake fluid)
I've had the car 4 years now, you'd think I'd learn lol

this might help!!!

hi, i had a similar issue took to a garage and found out it was the linkage arms plastic ball joints had failed - they wanted to charge me £££££££ to fix it - I searched the internet b4 saying yes and found the replacement kit for just the arms for alot less - ( www.wiperlinkages.com ). took me a hour of my time to fit but have had no more issues at all - very pleased with them and that i saved .....!!!!alot!!!.....! of money too!!
I also used the wiperlinkages kit and have had no more trouble.

I take it the link above for the ebay linkage arms will cure my wipers smacking off the scuttle and the windscreen pillar of my car? I'm guessing a fix sooner rather than later is key here

Agreed Rusty. Leave it much longer and it'll probably fail leaving you with no wipers. When you click the new link arm onto the ball bits, smear some silicon oil or grease on it if you have any.

Agreed Rusty. Leave it much longer and it'll probably fail leaving you with no wipers. When you click the new link arm onto the ball bits, smear some silicon oil or grease on it if you have any.
Very much appreciated Guy, I'll get them ordered this morning. Appreciate the help mate :) Kindest Regards Russell

Back