HElp installing Pioneer DEH3700 MP

S

simon

Hi there,
I'm hoping someone can help me save my sanity!
I recently bought a Pioneer DEH3700MP to be installed into a Nissan Micra - not the new model, the one before it. (as a surprise - what a mistake that was!) last night for my girlfriends birthday.

Hoping it would be a case of slipping the old one out and replacing it in about 10 minutes, i soon realised this was not going to be the case. I removed the central dash console, took out the old headunit, screwed the attachments to the sides of the new headunit and screwed the unti into place. Then when i went to put the dash console back on i realised that the hole in the console wasn't big enough for the stereo to fit through.

So i removed the screwed on attachements and tried to do it in reverse by placing the headunit through the console from the front, then attaching the screw on brackets, this was looking like the way to do it, but then, of course, how the hell am i supposed too access the screws to tighten them up - not possible unless i create 4 holes in the console for the screwdriver to fit through!!!! - Not doing that.

The problem i eventually firgured out lies in the headunit, and the fact that the curved trim around the edges of the unit is not removable (as far as i can tell without breaking it!). So all i could do was leave the unit, unsupported by the brackets, with the console back on holding it place - very loosly.

It looks fine, but on closer inspection you realise that it moves from sie to side and tilts up and down - NIGHTMARE!!!!!

So if anyone can help by telling me how to remove the curved trim around the headunit (without a hammer) or some other miracle that will get this sorted i would greatly apprecite it.

PS. She loves the stereo - but there must be a better way to do this.

Thanks
Simon.

attachments? i got the pioneer 9600 n only "attachment" i can really do is a add on mic n a plastic facial trim around edge or is the plastic trim thing u on about (if it which i dont think u r on about that cuz it usually is easy to clip off) but if its not ive not sure i follow u...piccys? (also assuming u got a k11 the small bubble shaped micra)

It looks like you should be able to remove the black plastic around the edge

V5380aP402.jpg

The 9600 has a simular silver surround which comes off (far too easily imo)

Arnold

Black plastic is moulded to the headunit - Nightmare

"It looks like you should be able to remove the black plastic around the edge"

This is what i thought should happen, but on this model it seems to be moulded to the main body of the headunit. arrrrrggghhhh!!!!

I have a 5700MP in my car and the trim comes off no problem, so im sure im not getting that wrong.

Is it that this model is simply not compatible with the Nissan??? - Hope not!!!

Do you have the installation manual? it might give you some clues on how to get around this problem? I cant think of what you could do otherwise

Sorry Zephyr,
Idon't really understand your message. By attachment i mean the brackets that screw to the side of the headunit (left and right), and is then screwed to the inner dash console, behind the removable inner dash.

The PAIN goes on!

Thats all well and good, but the problem i am having is not taking the unit out, it is putting it in. Its the black plastic with the slots, that is moulded to the unit, which is causing all of the problems.

The Pain Goes On!!!!!!

So is the head unit currently sitting in a cage? I think the point being made is you should take the cage off if it is, then fix that into the car. All you should need to do then is push the head unit into the cage to lock it into place, and no further nuts, bolts etc should be required.

The Cage....... and it's issues!!!

That would be way too easy!!!! But the damn cage has no way of attaching to the body of the car.

When i first removed the dash console, the factory fit stereo was attached to the brackets i have been talking about, then the brackets are attached to the car.

Other then that, it is just a big empty hole of nothingness for the stereo to float around in. No previos cage, nowhere for a new cage.

I think i better take some photos later on tonight so that you dont all think im a lunatic! That should explain it a little better.

But by then it might be a case of trying to sell a lovely new headunit that has been smashed about the place with all the tools i can reach!!!!!!!

Loosing Hope now.........

To be continued................

Can you attach the cage to the brackets which were holding your other head unit in place? Remember you've got the metal tabs on the cage to secure it into the car, both sides, top and bottom! Others that have aftermarket k11 stereos must be able to help!?

Not easily... but worth a try

Thanks Arnold,
I'll give it a try, probably have to come up with some weird and wonderful concoction to make it work. The brackets that attach to the stereo have just got 2 holes for the screws the went into the previous stereo, i'm a little worried that these holes will be right on top of the release bars on the cage, this would make it awkward to remove the stereo again. But hey, if i get this damn thing in, it is never coming out agin.......

Will try tonight.
Cheers
Simon.

if your using the cage you shouldnt need to use the brackets, put the cage in the whole and then line it up then push out all the tabs that will help hold it in place, also i looked at my pioneer one and found four screws on the plastic bit could you not take them out then take the plastic off then put it back on when the unit and dash are back together

"If your using the cage you shouldnt need to use the brackets, put the cage in the whole and then line it up then push out all the tabs that will help hold it in place "

As i said before, it's a hole - thats it, just air, if i push out the tabs there is nothing there for them to cling onto..... without the brackets nothing can be attached. Putting the cage into the hole would be like trying to insert a drawer into a chest of drawers, with no surrounding supports to hold it in place, just a front piece. It will just fall down!

pictures tomorrow..... i promise!

I know what you mean about the hole, but im not sure how you go about fixing it. If you can, get to a scrappies and see how other K11's are setup. Maybe yours has been played about with in the past and the part that holds it in's broken off or something.

u can fit the cage to the fascia panel that u are trying to get the h/u through. this is all i have done on mine. fit the fascia panel back with no stereo then fit the stereo as you would in a normal car. you might need to file the hole slightly to slide the cage in.

Okay dokey! See the bit of dash that comes off (two screws at the top and two behind the ashtray) The cage of the stereo goes into there. Then you pass all your wires throo the hole in the solid dash and throo the cage, screw the trim back on and then slide the stereo in, it will be tight but it will go, its tight so that it doesnt rattle. Anoher little point i have is - have you grounded the head unit, the standard stereo in the k11 grounds itself by touching the chassis, u will need to ground the new stereo by running a cable to the chassis of the car.

If this doesnt help, get back to me and ill take some piccys for you to understand better

Daz :alien:

Back