heavy clutch

CMF_justin

» CMF Member
Ok guys so i fitted a jun lightweight flywheel into the micra a couple weekends ago......now the clutch is really heavy and it creaks/almost gets stuck when letting it back up...its got an exedy hd clutch in it but wasnt heavy before i put flywheel in...any suggestions of what it could be...really getting hard to drive as i basically have to drop the clutch or it just stops before it engages. any help id be very grateful cheers justin

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Too much pre-load on the bearing can wear it out pretty quick, there should be a fraction of slack in the pedal before the resistance of the clutch.

@ oldboy... I generally lubricate cables with graphite powder like locksmiths use and compressed air to get it down the length of the cable. Its a dry lubricant so won't attract dust n dirt and will not turn to glue after a few years like wd40.

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
did you apply grease to the collar that the release bearing slides along?

cos when I made that mistake, at first it felt light/normal as you said but eventually the dirt/dust gathers on the tacky grease, making it really thick n sticky which increases resistance so the pedal will feel very heavy to engage until inevitably the weak rivet pin on the end of the clutch cable sheared off under the strain.

nowadays I only use graphite powder as mentioned above cos it stays dry and continues to lubricate.

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Not many people think about lubricating cables and if they do it is usually advised against doing it because anything but a dry lube will cause more problems than good. Its only my experience with older vehicles that showed me the benefits.

If you have access to one end of the cable a bit of graphite powder and some compressed air to blow it down the liner will work wonders. It will get smoother as you use it.

Back