Clutch pedal sticking

CMF_Ezy03

» CMF Member
hey guys just bought a k11 and when im pressing the clutch all the way in and coming out again its having a moment where its getting stiff and slightly stuck before coming smooth again, its not the clutch itself since it goes into gears smoothly its just the pedal gets heavy at the end and its there's some friction till it becomes smooth again...anyone knows what this could be?

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Could be a lack of grease on the shaft which the thrust bearing moves along. It's not a small job but if you separate the box from the engine you could have a look at it while moving the arm by hand to see where it might be sticking. It may be difficult to diagnose without pulling off the box but certainly the more stuff before resorting to that, the better. The only reason I'm so quick to suggest it is because that's all I've been doing the past two weekends :p

---dens

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
removing the g/box is a bit drastic if it turns out to be a notchy cable or pedal tho eh :O
spraying some chainlube through a suitably placed hole cured my thrust bearing squeal, might be an option maybe ?

Attachments

• 71077.jpg
    71077.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 33

CMF_GRUMPY

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"removing the g/box is a bit drastic if it turns out to be a notchy cable or pedal tho eh :O<BR>spraying some chainlube through a suitably placed hole cured my thrust bearing squeal, might be an option maybe ?

Frank . was the box removed or still attached when the hole was drilled to put the chainlube in..

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
Mine has a similar issue. I thought it was the clutch pedal but when I pull it out it looked fine and the mech said it could be the clutch or cable causing it. Might be what the other has said as well. Frank how did you drill that hole without getting metal shards all in the box?

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Haha, frank that is ghetto as anything. I would've thought that pulling a gearbox off would be less drastic than drilling a hole in the gearbox! I'd hate to think of what might happen to some of the filings - you could avoid getting most in but even still, I'd sooner take off the box.

You could pull the clutch cable off and move it by hand, but I don't know how much play there's likely to be in it or how much of an indication that'll give you.

---dens

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
any swarf falls out the bellhousing lol, no sandwich plate on my steed look.
i did,nt drill into the g/box ffs
and ghetto dens ?..................moi !

Attachments

• 71082.jpg
    71082.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 28

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
mine used to partially stick as you mentioned. setting off at junctions i wouldn't know if the clutch'll drag or just suddenly bite n stall. then it got really stiff and wore out the cable & release bearing clip.

turned out that i had greased the collar sleeve on the gearbox input that the release bearing slides on when i shouldn't have, and this causes dirt n clutch dust etc to build up on the grease creating this frictional mess and so the release bearing couldn't move easily.

now i've only just applied a smear of grease on the input spline, and release bearing clip, leaving the sliding collar dry and it no longer drags and is so light

CMF_muzza

» CMF Member
Ezy03 WROTE:

"hey guys just bought a k11 and when im pressing the clutch all the way in and coming out again its having a moment where its getting stiff and slightly stuck before coming smooth again, its not the clutch itself since it goes into gears smoothly its just the pedal gets heavy at the end and its there's some friction till it becomes smooth again...anyone knows what this could be?

Hey bud which Micra did u buy???

CMF_M5

» CMF Member
I experienced exactly the same problem with mine when I installed a new clutch and clutch cable. If your clutch friction or take up point is too close to the floor (ie there is a lot of play at right at the top of the clutch pedal, you should try ajusting the cluch cable so the friction or take up point is higher up on your clutch pedal and there is less freeplay at the top of your clutch pedal. Hope this helps and congrats on your new purchase!

CMF_Ezy03

» CMF Member
how hard would is it to replace the whole clutch cable on the micra??

...if im gonna adjust i might as well swap an old for new seeing the old one probably has never been changed and its there since 1995...to that note im also thinking of changing some of the lines and hoses (new for old thing again) just to refresh bits and pieces so there's no chance of them failing in future.

CMF_Ezy03

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"Ezy03 WROTE:

"how hard would is it to replace the whole clutch cable on the micra??

"</div>

its a 5 minute job the 2nd time you do it (1/2 hr on the 1st time lol)

not hard to believe that lol.....took me 1/2 bloody changing the oil filter today...granted i didnt know where it was (took 5 mins to find it lol) and it was on there super tight, scratched my hand all over too haha

Back