Headlights

M

mackem_micra

i know i know, before anyone says "this has been asked loads of times" - i have searched and read the threads but would just like a little bit more info

my offside headlight is faulty (normal problem as everyone else - box melting etc) and was just wondering a few things:

1. in one of the threads kristian said:
I assume you are refering the the 15amp ( blue ) fuse thatsin the fuse box infront of the battery..
i checked this and it seemed fine - what now?!

2. in the same thread he also said:
best thing is to take it apart and wire the wire yourself directly .. through a seperate fuse holder..
will this def solve the problem or is it posible that the problem could be in a totally difrent place?!

test is due end of this month and need it sorted by then?!

Cheers peeps(Y)

Jon

wilsonian said:
Let me know how it goes Jon as I have this issue but i think it's to do with the relay and not the wiring.
going to have a look at it tonight before the match and depending what i find and am able to sort i will let you know tomorrow

na mine never did but i have read a few replies in threads where it did - so you aint alone!!!

Before you go changing relays... chenck that the pair of 15amp fuses in the fuse holder infront of the battery are clean and free from corrosion...

Any 'scorching' or 'green' oxide coating on or near the fuse or the terminals it slides into..... indicates a problem...

Currently I have this problem where my passenger side headlight is DIMMER that normal... This is due to the terminals underneath the fuses are now corroded and weak.... I run 100watt Ice white headlight bulbs and its now very noticable...

If you disconnect the battery and remove it .. then 'unclip' the fuse boxes that surround the battery from their 'mountings' ....and try and turn the one containing the troublesome fuses upside down.. its actually got a cover underneath that can be removed... once unclipped this will reveal all the terminals from beneath....

check here for corrosion problems...

hope this helps

wilsonian said:
did urs ever buzz when u turned it on?

Mine did from side lights to dipped thats why i think a relay as popped

This buzzing indicates a 'short circuit' problem... not a relay problem

cheers Kristian, like i say will have a look tonight and then update how things are and if i have managed to sort it!!

Ok guys bit of an update:-

looked at the fuse box infront of the battery lastnight and it was exactly what kristian said - the terminals under one of the 15a fuses (i think its the bottom one as you look at them) was green with corrosion!!!!

**NB** make sure you look nice and closely coz it can be pretty hard to see that they are green but if you take both 15a fuses out and look carefully you will be able to see the difference between the corroded one and the decent one

**Cheers kristian mate**

off to the scrappy tonight to see if i can get a full fuse box and just change that over - if failing that **kristian** have you got any ideas what to do to sort it?!

Back