Headlights are really dim, changed bulbs but it made very little difference. What should I do?

Do I buy a new set from eBay or can I take these apart and clean them out or something. Could it be a lack of power to the bulbs.

Car barely puts any light on the road, it's a wonder it passed MOT!

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm far from a mechanic so just learning as I go.

if the lens is plastic and dulled, give it a good clean & polish.
if it's glass, wipe all dirt & mud off it.
or just eat more carrots and wear night vision :p

Maybe pics / vids?

I preferred the H4 Osram Night Breaker unlimited bulbs

That's the exact bulbs I used, I had high hopes. Helped distance but I still can't see squat.

if the lens is plastic and dulled, give it a good clean & polish.
if it's glass, wipe all dirt & mud off it.
or just eat more carrots and wear night vision :p

Do you mean the outside or am I gunna have to take them off bake them (heard 10 minutes in the oven melts the glue) and take them apart to clean the insides?

Do you mean the outside or am I gunna have to take them off bake them (heard 10 minutes in the oven melts the glue) and take them apart to clean the insides?

if they're plastic, I meant the outside surface tends to dull or oxidise over the yrs and scatter the light.
so you'd need to clean & restore the outside with headlight restore kits till it's clear again

if they're plastic, I meant the outside surface tends to dull or oxidise over the yrs and scatter the light.
so you'd need to clean & restore the outside with headlight restore kits till it's clear again

here's another good video

Mate thanks so much for sharing. Hopefully I can buy some cleaning products and get a chance to fix the headlights before getting up at 4am Wednesday morning.

You know what I don't have much time between work and the gym. So I'm gunna try cleaning thee headlights with baking soda. hopefully this clear them up again.

I'll post here with results.

You know what I don't have much time between work and the gym. So I'm gunna try cleaning thee headlights with baking soda. hopefully this clear them up again.

I'll post here with results.
FWIW, I picked my old man up some headlight cleaner from The Range for £7.99 and his Mk5 Golf headlights came up pretty good!

FWIW, I picked my old man up some headlight cleaner from The Range for £7.99 and his Mk5 Golf headlights came up pretty good!

Maybe a product designed for the job might be better :D

I gave them a good scrub with the baking soda and vinegar combo before work this afternoon, it didn't seem to make a ton of difference.

While I was down there I could see some yellowish mould (wtf) inside the lamp sooooo looks like I'm buying a new set or cleaning out the inside of the current ones. After my holidays :|.

I appreciate you getting back to me guys.

I guess this thread can be deleted.

Back