head light troubles

CMF_maat

» CMF Member
hey guys,

my headlights have been playing up lately and now i cant drive at nite :(
it started off with one light not working and i thought it was just a globe but when i swapped it i tested it with a test light and it wasnt getting power, so i looked at fuses, and earths etc, everything seems to be fine, but yeaterday the whole lot shat itself. When i turn on the head lights the parkers work but the main beam only lights up in one and isnt as bright as it should be, when i put it on highbeam by pulling it back everything lights up A-OK but when i push it forward so it holds the highbeam on they all turn back into just the parkers.

so by the powers of elimination i traced it back to the switch (stalk) thinking maybe thats had the bomb, but when i unplugged the electrical plug that connects to the stalk swith i used a wire to manually turn the lights on and off but they are still doing the same thing so hopefully (fingers crossed) its not the stalk after all

im all out of ideas hey and its ****ting me not being able to use my car at night :(

anyhelp would be greatly appreciated if anyone has had the same or similar problem(s)

where are the relays etc for the headlights? i feel as if ive checked everything but i might be missing something, so heres a picture of the engine bay so you can circle where i can look.

thanks heaps in advance people

matt

Attachments

• 35264.jpg
    35264.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 49

CMF_littlebear

» CMF Member
Ok, is your reversing light coming on and instrument lights working? It is on the same fuse as the headlights- It is the 2nd to bottom on the LHS. Even if the fuse looks OK try swapping it out with another one, could be a dirty contact or something - I reckon this is unlikely.

Another possibility is that there is a bad earth of which there are 3 that connect to the Dim/Dip unit. They will be black wires and are earthed at 3 different locations - behind the RHS interior kick panel, LHS kick panel and near the RHS rear light assembly.

It could be the DIm/Dip unit itself which is in the dash somewhere. Could possibly bypass it.

Not sure if this is much help - You can't go past a good Auto Sparky!

CMF_maat

» CMF Member
**** it, it didnt work :(

does anyone in perth wana let me borrow theirs tomoro for a few seconds to see if that IS the problem? it takes 4 screws to take out and its a 5 minute job

Back