Head Gasket ?? Could do with some advice

C

crytown

Needing some advice on this one as I am in two minds whether to do the gasket change or not. Seeing as it's my first overhead cam car and I still have to buy the haynes manual that has to be taken into the cost... anyway.

Radiator had a dodgy cap when I bought it, then it threw the hose from the engine to the heater due to the previous owner putting on bad hose clips. So after 4 hours in stirling services I finally patched it all up and got back.

Then.. Got a new cap and since then has been fine until today when it over heated only when sitting in traffic.

Let it cool and took of the new cap to find a really small amount of gunky stuff on the radiator cap. However I have suspicion this is just general crap as it isn't a 'mayo' type of deposit.

Really just needing some advice on what people think.

Oh and if anyone has done the fuel filler neck recently let me know as I want to be ready if it's a pain in the arse to do. Can't be any worse than a inlet manifold on a V12 Jag but looks a bit pernickety.

Steve

just check if thers any mayo in oil or oil cap. does it heat up constantly or loose water?

seems to loose a bit of water and the temperature has climbed. I'm thinking it might be a sign of something to come :-(

Steve

yes, test your thermostat, thats a good idea.

'Mayo' is a far overused myth about head gaskets, as its only a sign that it has gone in one certain area, which is between the oilways and waterways. The symptoms of yours is that if it is going, its going between the wayerways and the bore.

How much water is it loosing? K10's can be prone to a few water leaks, mainly where the fixed pipe joins tp the waterpump, just above the dipstick on the front of the block, which is a force-fit joint, and at the other end of the same pipe wheres theres a 4" bit of hose joinging is to a solid bridgeing section where it meets the heater hose.

if u have a gunge on the under side of the radiator cap and the car is burning oil is this a sign of blowing gasket

Firstly make sure that your fan is switching on when the car is up to temperature. Also check for a smell of exhaust fumes when you take the radiator cap off.
Cheers
Amy

Just leave it to see what happens. Some of the symptoms will get worse, then you will be able to work out what it is properly.

I wouldn't say mayo is a myth - mayo is a sure sign of a blown head gasket. Yes, a blown head gasket doesn't always mean mayo, but it quite often does.

I wouldn't leave it too long, if the HG is blown you are running the risk of warping your head beyond repair, or getting water into the head bolt recesses, which could mean a snapped headbolt when you come to remove them if it's badly corroded. If you are worried about it start with a compression check (I have a compression tester if you want to use it) or any garage will be able to do it for you for not much ££. or take it to a garage that has the necessary testing equipment to check for combustion byproducts in the coolant.

Amy

Take the cap off the radiator header tank, rev the engine - if you get a fountain of water come out of the header tank when the engine's running full tilt - your head gasket's a gonner!!

Back