1995 Micra struggles to start in walm, cold is fine

CMF_Holty

» CMF Member
Hi Guys,

I have just purchased a K11 Micra and im loving the bug!
Only issue is that when the car is walm the car struggles a bit to start. The car needs a little gas to get it going. The strange thing is this doesnt happen when the car is cold. I can get up in the morning straight away and turn the key and the car goes.

I was originally thinking that the o2 sensor is having an issue.. but my mechanic used his snap on tools engine scanner and the engine passed.

Hmmm any ideas?

Car specs:
90,000 kms
Manual
Stock

Cheers,
Nick

CMF_Doom

» CMF Member
Hey mate, good to see another Adelaide micra owner!
My old K11 used to do that and used to blow heaps of smoke once started, then it would clear up and be fine. We were suspecting a leaking injector. I sold the car before we fixed it tho lol.
620racer had a similar problem and found it to be something else. I can't remember what tho lol sorry :-/
Send him a message, he will know

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
With my car the cause was a leaking injector. So when hot the car was rich and farted about a bit till it cleared out then it was fine.

Cold of course you want a richer mixture anyway so mine always started fine from cold.

Replacing injectors improved it but they were not new ones and eventually the problem returned. I just live with it now.

CMF_Holty

» CMF Member
Thanks for your help guys..

at first I thought it was an O2 sensor.. but the more I read the more I think it could have an faulty injector..

any1 know how much they cost? I dont think 2 much.. hopefully will book and get it looked at in the near future.

Good to see another adelaidian, hey doom!

If any1 else has any ideas or thoughts let me know.

cheers,
nick

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
If it is the injectors you might have problems. When I was asking around no one I spoke to had the adaptors for side feed injectors which our cars use, so no garage was able to test them properly or service them.

As they are not so common new ones are also expensive.

You might have better luck then I did which is why I used 2nd hand ones. Someone else on the forum might be able to give you better advice on how to get around it.

Mike

CMF_1300cc

» CMF Member
i know someone at bayswater area who can clean injectors with a written report... ....i think he charges $18 per injector...let me know if you're interested and ill search up my old emails....

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
1300cc WROTE:

"i know someone at bayswater area who can clean injectors with a written report... ....i think he charges $18 per injector...let me know if you're interested and ill search up my old emails....

Were you thinking of SMC Automotive in Barry Street?. I've used him and he's good but does/did not have the adaptors for the side feed injectors.

CMF_1300cc

» CMF Member
mipcar WROTE:

"1300cc WROTE:

"i know someone at bayswater area who can clean injectors with a written report... ....i think he charges $18 per injector...let me know if you're interested and ill search up my old emails...."</div>

Were you thinking of SMC Automotive in Barry Street?. I've used him and he's good but does/did not have the adaptors for the side feed injectors.
are we talking the same guy who have an ad at ebay.....http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LET-ME-CLEAN-TEST-YOUR-FUEL-INJECTORS-LIKE-NEW-/110617919481?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c1577ff9#ht_1623wt_932

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
1300cc WROTE:

"but getting back to the original question....ive noticed my car in a hot day it doesnt start at 1 click but eventually it will....compared during cold days

if an injector is leaking enough to flood a hot engine, you would have a small pool of petrol in the sump under the throttlebody (the same as when you remove an injector and the rail empties itself into the mani, and you usually have to pull the fuelpump fuse to get it to start)

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
1300cc WROTE:

"but getting back to the original question....ive noticed my car in a hot day it doesnt start at 1 click but eventually it will....compared during cold days

To be clear, do you mean re-starting when it's hot say after you've been driving it then left it switched off for a while. Or any starting if the day is hot even if the car has not been started that day?

With my car, cold starts are fine hot or cold day does not matter. Hot re-starts were I've been driving the car then switched it off and let it sit for more then 5 mins is when I have starting difficulties.
After more then 5 mins it's enough time for the injector to leak out into the combustion chamber from residual pressure and give me a rich mixture.
If I were to switch off the engine after running and then re-start it right away then I wont have a problem.
Likwise if the car has not been started since the previous day then even if it's been sitting in the sun on a hot day it wil start ok.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:
if an injector is leaking enough to flood a hot engine, you would have a small pool of petrol in the sump under the throttlebody (the same as when you remove an injector and the rail empties itself into the mani, and you usually have to pull the fuelpump fuse to get it to start)

Not flood the engine but enough to give you an over rich mixture to make a hot start a little more temperamental.
All I know is with mine we found two leaking injectors and when I replaced them it fixed the problem. If the engine has not been started that day then hot or cold (weather) it will start fine.

CMF_620racer

» CMF Member
Mine was running very rich on start when warm, once it had been driven for a while it was all good. No problem when cold.

Turned out to be the temp sensor for the ECU, actually just a dodgy connection. Cleaned up the plug, plugged it back in, all good.

Give it a try, cheaper than a set of injectors anyway!

CMF_620racer

» CMF Member
mipcar, yours sounds more like an injector to me if it clears up that quick.

With the temp sensor fault I think the ECU sees every start as a cold start and brings on a richer mixture for a timed period. But it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Back