Handbrake VERY weak!

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice.

My Micra is a 99 model, and the handbrake pulls up 4 notches (but seems to barely move - a few cms maybe!). It's useless. I can easily REVERSE with the handbrake fully on, and have left it somewhere before and it has rolled away!

Can anyone help on what I need to do? Does it need replacing, or can it just be adjusted? If so, can anyone give me an idea on how to do it, or should I just get it booked into the garage? If garage, then how much is this likely to cost? Obviously it doesn't feel safe, and it's basically like I have NO handbrake!

Oh, I'm in Swindon, if anyone knows any good garages.

To stop it rolling away leave it in gear, just don't forget when you start the car. Obviously this is just temporary til you fix it. You can tighten the handbrake, I think this is done at the equalizer bar. Although it might be your brakes that need replacing.

Here is a K10 one, K11 should be similar, adjuster is circled in red:
29-07-07_1153.jpg

on the k11 the handbreak adjuster can be found under your handbreak from inside your car. the spec says 6-8 clicks.maybe your cable is stretched if it aint holding it on 4 clicks also check your rear shoes and inside your drums

Wow, ok, so it's not 'easy' just by looking... Hmm, I'll just have to get it booked in then, as the brakes themselves are crap aswell, so could be something else needs looking at I suppose.

hanbrake cable and rear brakes are easy mate just get ya self a book and read it doing it ya self saves loads of money :p just follow the book and ya wont go far wrong

sounds like the hand brake has been adjusted up via the actual hand brake cable rather than from the rear wheels hence y the effienicy is low

i doubt what andy has said bout slacking the adjuster to give more clicks would make it better but worse

adjustin up rear brakes ur hand brake its long winded but
u need ur drum off if u not got air gun big nut is a ###### to take off by hand
hammer n pry bar n once drum off take look to see if the shoes are ok
then adjust up the shoes with a decent screw driver on the adjuster
then on to the drum itself if theres a big lip on drum grind it off n
also u prob need to slack off the hand brake adjuster a fair bit if its been tightened up from there
once shoes adjusted n drum lip grinded
put drum back on wheel on n
then repeat other side

i did not say slackening the adjuster to make more clicks would fix the problem because it wont. ( k11s have self adjusting rear brakes) so if it was my car it would get new rear shoes and handbrake cable. sorry if any 1 read my post wrong what i did say was (on the k11 the handbreak adjuster can be found under your handbreak from inside your car. the spec says 6-8 clicks.maybe your cable is stretched if it aint holding it on 4 clicks also check your rear shoes and inside your drums )

Back