Haltech 1000

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Haltech have informed me to cancel my order for a ECU since my car is for road application. Specifically because:

" I am terribly sorry to let you know that the K11 Micra ECU is currently not available. The K11 is awaiting a revision to allow the idle control to function correctly and I don’t have a timeframe on how long this will take.
Unfortunately the Sport series ECU does not support the trigger type so I don’t have any alternative options for you at the moment. As soon as something changes I will certainly let you know."

Anyone else have input on this, I'm a little confused the reason why it won't work is as clear as mud at the moment.

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Yeah, I just sent them an email saying:

"Would it change things if I said I was using a CG13DE with sr20TB & RB25AFM, alongside a custom coilpack w/ igniter setup, and CAM & crank angle sensors added?"

They just replied saying no, it wouldn't change anything.

Now I'm really confused with them, but it's their loss. EMS 8860 ECU is in the talks now. Awaiting email from them.

What exactly is the difference between rotational and stepper type i/c/v?

EDIT: Just dragged this out of the EMS 8860 manual "All Motorsport ECUs can control idle speed with either a 4, 5 or 6 wire stepper motor." Guess that fits the bill for compatibility huh?

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Have you looked into Megasquirt at all?

I have one that needs to be assembled but should be plug> tune> play after assembly, it has the plug for the loom used in our micras and other n/a silvias or 300zx's (I don't remember exactly which cars use the half size ecu) but the wiring loom should plug straight into the ecu without modifications. Besides the ecu the only thing needed is a different trigger wheel to go in the distributor.

It may be for sale if the offer is fair... tho I would like to use it to teach myself how to tune efi.

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Just sent nistune an email. Not too sure what there chips are capable of compared to a stand alone ECU, so I asked a ton of questions, and am awaiting some answers :D

Work is simultaneously the only reason I can purchase parts for the car, and the biggest reason to why I don't have time to work on the car.

I've just been offered 4 months work up in Darwin, but think I'm going to decline because I really want to make progress on the Micra.

It'll be show-car quality one day, I swear.

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
From a quick read, I'm expecting that the nistune board won't be useful as I'm using a sequential coilpack ignition setup with crank&cam sensor, which the aussie ECU doesn't recognise, nor have inputs for.

I could always take the easier route and stay distributor though, but I really don't want to compromise my last few years of efforts :D

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Pierce WROTE:

"EDIT: Just dragged this out of the EMS 8860 manual "All Motorsport ECUs can control idle speed with either a 4, 5 or 6 wire stepper motor." Guess that fits the bill for compatibility huh?

Indeed - though I never wired up a stepper motor to mine and it idled/idles fine. Also, don't get an 8860 unless you're planning on moving the ECU someday to a V8 as you don't need the sequential ignition/injection it offers. Get a 4860 instead if you're wanting to do the EMS route. Unless you're putting two stages of injectors on the CG, can't imagine why you'd go with an 8860 :)

---dens

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
DeNs,

I'm using 4 LS1 coilpacks w/ igniters for sequential fire (thus getting rid of the dizzy). This has been a major issue to learn about for myself, but I'm pretty sure a 4860 for $300 less than an 8860 can't run a sequential setup as their isn't enough outputs?

I can't wait to put the frigging motor back into the engine bay along with the majority of other parts. The electrics have been doing my head in and cannot wait to drop a couple grand on a professional sparky to work in my garage on the loom.

Back