Had another idea

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Ok so I know what you're all thinking, 'here we go again with another half thought out plan'.
But this time I've done some research....
I'm still after that dump valve sound without a turbo, now I've found a way.
I want to cut into the exhaust pipe and mount a T piece, the branch off will go to a dump valve and the vacuum tube off the inlet manifold will then connect.
Now I know real dump valves dump pressurized air not exhaust gas but the concept has to be the same, as would the sound be.
The only problem that may occur is temperature, will it be too hot for the valve?

So come on then what's wrong with this plan?

Right here we go, obviously it'd have to be near the bumper to prevent the engine bay filling up with exhaust gasses as they'd come into the car through the vents
bov.jpg

your exhaust pipe wont pressurize, or else the car would stall...as in put your hand on the end of your exhaust pipe, and the car will struggle to keep running.

So with the valve fitted most if not all of the gas will still head out the exhaust and not get sent through the bov...im not saying you wont get a little bit, but i doubt it'd be worth the hassle...infact the only way i can see this working is if you redirected the exhaust gas through the bov, but god knows how the car would run.

I'd probably be easier just to run around with a canister of air and use a pressure switch to control the venting from that...although slightly less practical

wouldnt the exhaust gaese by-pass the bov? even if it had gases going to it it wouldnt build up engough pressure..if it did it would sound like the turbo is on a small bit of boost.

This would NEVER work. There qould not be enough pressure for this to work. A dump valve works nicely on about 0.5+ bar! Obviously more pressure, better noise.

An exhaust system is not pressurised, take a dump valve and shove it in the end of your exhaust, this would theoretically be roughly the same as how you have designed it, it would do jack!!

http://www.saber-edv.com/home/

a work mate got one of these, but we all gave him loads of ribbing for it! didn't sound too bad, but sounded the same each time regardless of how long it was on 'boost'. maybe the version 2 is different?

edit;
listening to the videos, the version 2 does seem to vary the sounds depending on how long the accelerator pedal is depressed.

Ok then, I ad a feeling pressure may be a problem.
EDV's sound like someone taking a lid off a coke bottle.
I may nick a compressor off a lorry lol.

Back