Another starting issue

CMF_Rich

» CMF Member
I did a search, but nothing seems to have the same symptoms.

I have owned my K11 March for just over 2 years problem free years. Recently I have had issues with hard starting. At totally random times the car will crank and not fire. There is a smell of fuel in the air being pumped by the engine, so I know it is not spark. At another random time and attempt to start the car it will fire, and run very rough (due to flooding) and requires throttle play to keep the motor running. Also at this time it will blow black exhaust (again because of the flooding/over rich mixture) which clears up quickly. Every once in a while when easing into the throttle from idle the car will die if you don't get off the throttle quick enough. If it does die, it follows the same cranking issues above.

I am going to try the TB solder trick, but are there any other ideas?

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
I'll try an answer, see if anyone agrees. the injectors sit on large rubber o ring things within the manifold, also the injector sits in the fuel rail on O-rings top and bottom. Rubber hardens with age and temerature....... if the rubber has hardened and under high vacuum (ie idle) the engine will bleed more air than needed through these orings, thus confusing the O2 sensor which will make the ecu throw more and more fuel into the engine...... that's one idea, plus if the o-rings that seat the injector to the fuel rail had had it, they will ooze fuel since it doesn't take too much to leak anything at 45psi....

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi Rich,

Not sure if this is related but I had a very similar problem a few years ago. In my case the fix was to just replace the spark plug leads with a new set.

I didn't have a garage then so my car was just parked out on the street overnight unprotected from the weather. I suspect the problem was caused by the insulation on the leads failing due to old age and letting condensation/moisture in.

Good luck with finding a solution.

Back