guide

Glen

Club Member
I was wondering if anyone still had the guide to adding a aux cable to a standard micra tape stereo? Ive searched but cant seem to find it.

No it was a mod i think @nex did which you soldiered a aux wire into the standard radio so when u put it on tape it was actually a aux.

probably a huge amount of effort for a littlt gain. get a tape adaptor until you can afforrd a decent head unit.

try the halfrauds website. a good range, usually some that are ex-demo etc with massively cut-down prices. i got a £120 sony headunit for £50

I have 4 head units sitting in my room and like 5 in the garage im wanting to add a aux to the old headunit so it looks standard but will play my ipod.

fair enough.not necessarily sure if you can. i know you can get adaptors for some cars to go from a 6-CD changer to an aux in with 3.25mm jack (pug 206 for ex) but a changer was never an option for k11s.....

im not sure if you'll find any input on a micra radio unit other than the aerial input.

in a tape player the tiny magnetic differences in the tape cause tiny voltage changes in a coil inside the tape read head. these voltages come out the back (usually 4 pins, two left two right) and then get passed into an amplifier circuit that boosts the voltages high enough that they can move speaker cones. its a very simple system that is entirely analog.

if you wanted an Aux in, you could wire straight to the back of the read head or where the wires from the read head go to.

in those tape adapters they use a read head just like the one in the player with tiny coils in it. the low voltage audio from an MP3 player for example, causes the coils to become magnetic, which is passed to the read head in the tape player. this is similar to how a tape can be recorded by reversing how a tape player works.

If you're not keen on soldering, but dead set on keeping the stock head unit, another option is getting a wired FM modulator that basically pipes an aux source into the antenna socket via a piggyback antenna connector. No FM transmission loss, and usually no interference, although you might need a ground isolator if you get alternator buzz or whatever...

Back