Greetings from Arizona!

Took delivery of a really clean, low-mileage Aqua Grey 5-speed Pao here in sunny Arizona this morning...

I'm a long-time Nissan enthusiast and Datsun restorer / collector, and run the web's largest Nissan forum (NICOclub.com).
I'm eager to spend some time on the OTHER side of the forum (as a learner, rather than teacher). Looking forward to catching up with anyone else in the US who has a Pao (I believe there are only 2 or 3, but could be wrong).

Thanks in advance!

Hi AZhitman, It's good to hear from another new PAO owner. This summer is going to be fun with cruise nights and car shows. I try to get out to our back garage as often as I can to play around and just look at things on the car. It is truly a retro design. I wish it had the original radio, but I'll find one someday. I don't even care if it works or not. My car is blue, it has automatic transmission and a canvas roof (not working). I also bought a set of new tires for it. Please tell us more about your new toy.

Take care,
Mark

Hi Mark! I spoke with another gentleman in Seattle who has a Pao and an S Cargo! So, that makes 3 US-based Pao so far.

Mine appears to be in remarkable shape, with almost no wear or damage. It was clearly well cared-for. I think I'll be spending some time just getting to know the car, and making sure it's tuned for our low altitude and hot weather.

Todd here in Seattle and Yes I have a Green Pao 5 speed Sunroof that I got from Japanoid in Vancouver BC, I also bought a S-Cargo from him. I got the S-Cargo First and then sold my German Spec Lada 2107 to a Russian guy in Portland Oregon so I could get a Pao, Now I have my sights on a Figaro, have the money for it just waiting til January when a 91 will finally be legal. I've found you can get a surprising amount of parts for the Pao or K10 Micra right here in the US via either E-bay Or RockAuto, if you search for something on Rockauto you just need to click on the Canadian flag in the search or the Micra will never come up

What's the story on shocks for our cars? My RF corner is saggy, and I'm guessing the shock is shot.

Also, I noticed the rear bumpstops (on the shock) appear to be made of red velvet cake, haha - I touched one, and it crumbled to the floor.

I replaced the rears on mine a couple of years ago. The fronts I did this last winter. It is so nice to have working shocks, the originals were so bad I was riding on springs alone. The fronts were made by Gabriel and I got them on eBay, one was missing the locknut, had to find one from a specialty fastening outlet. When I contacted Gabriel, they said they couldn't help me as they were not making those shocks any more. They came new in a box, thought sending a nut might be a good opportunity to excell at customer service, haha, their customer service suggested I might find one in France. Great to have U.S. Owners on here now that the PAO is 25. Mine (in Canada) is a 1990, so I have finally qualified for my collector plates!

Last edited:
Anyone who's on the fence on buying parts, Isuggest buying anything and everything K10 Micra while you still can whether you need it or not. It won't be long before these parts will be no longer available in North America

With the PAO finally legal in the U.S. at 25 years old, the small community of owners seems to be growing! Show us your cars! Here's mine, 5 speed, tin top, blue. 59,000 km
image.jpg

Took delivery of a really clean, low-mileage Aqua Grey 5-speed Pao here in sunny Arizona this morning...

I'm a long-time Nissan enthusiast and Datsun restorer / collector, and run the web's largest Nissan forum (NICOclub.com).
I'm eager to spend some time on the OTHER side of the forum (as a learner, rather than teacher). Looking forward to catching up with anyone else in the US who has a Pao (I believe there are only 2 or 3, but could be wrong).

Thanks in advance!

Yo!
I too am a Arizonan (Central Phoenix), and I'm working on nabbing a PAO of my own!
Any advice on getting one over here? There's a perfect yellow one in Yokohama, Japan right now, but I'm so skittish at the thought of the import process. Fortunately the company is versed and specializes in shipping their cars to the US, but I'm unavoidably weary due to Arizona's DMV being the world's most incompetent.

Seems safer and easier to buy one that's already been imported. There's one on ebay right now and it's the more desirable 5-speed. The importer I bought mine from has around 3 more, but not sure if all 3 are in this country yet. He's close by in Vegas. If you're interested I can get you his contact info.

AZ DMV is easy to work with IF you have your ducks in a row. The process is not for the lazy - you'll have to do your homework and know the laws. If you're armed with accurate information, it's a breeze. :)

I'm officially part of the AZ PAO peeps!

8DnRVWE.jpg

I adjusted the headlight visors to be grumpy.

FrBTL4V.jpg

Managed to nab it from Yokohama, Japan and it finally arrived in Phoenix this week.
5 Speed with custom paint and interior (And a horribly off-color tsurikawa. . .)
It still had its original owner's toll-road Panasonic system in the dash when I got it, so after I started it the PAO began speaking Japanese and I was quite frightened. Thought I had gotten my hands on a Japanese KITT.
So far the only issue I had was an exploded seat belt retractor. Pray you never know the pain of rewinding one of those. . .

The rascal is due for a tune up, but I'm unsure as to what oil she takes. For that matter, where do you guys get all of your standard maintenance parts? Battery?
Any help is greatly appreciated! This is my first "Fix It Yourself" car, so pardon me if my questions are ridiculous.

And on a final note, if anyone happens to come across a fog light assembly for the PAO, I'm in desperate need!
This thing:
1989-nissan-pao-ebay-1a.jpg

Awesome! What part of AZ are you in?

Oil should be standard 10w 30. Everything else should be simple.

Had the same issue with my retractor.

Awesome! What part of AZ are you in?

Oil should be standard 10w 30. Everything else should be simple.

Had the same issue with my retractor.

I'm in Central Phoenix by the Uptown Plaza. The hipsters in the area turn their heads so quick they're necks snap.
Arizona's PAO community is weirdly large; I'm already helping a buddy of mine get his hands on one in Mesa. People must be learning about how reliable and efficient these nuggets are.

Thanks for the help! Youtube and Google are helpful in the hands of a noob, but there's a hefty number of brick walls I've hit on the way.

I found a tiny dap of super glue in the middle of the retractor coil keeps it from wigglin' out and breaking free again. When I checked out my other retractor to check on it, it was also nearing an explosion, so I tapped it down and gave it a dab.

Nice-looking Pao, Miles. We'll have to get them together for pictures soon.

I'm eager to hear more about the retractor repair. Mine loosens as I drive (bumps and such) but doesn't retract... UNTIL I stop the car and open the door. I didn't think there was an electrical component to these, so it's odd.

Back