Got my vibe back and it's been tinkered with!

Hello everyone!

I've had a mini lurk on the site and got some tips on how to replace my heating resistor card which I replaced today (and everything worked!) so quite chuffed and thought I'd post, say 'thanks' and ask a few other questions.

My vibe has been in my parents hands for a few years and they seem to have abused/self serviced it and the car doesn't seem to be a happy chappy. I bought a Haynes book and I am currently trying to go through all the servicing recommendations to see if I can get the old boy back to its former glory... anyway...

My dad replaced the cars alternator (which failed) with a new model K12 alternator (it works... at least) but makes a screeching noise when the steering wheel is on full lock in either direction. He seems to believe it is down to this incorrect alternator and by buying the 'correct one' the screeching will vanish.

So firstly, is this correct? Could the alternator belt and power steering belt be rubbing because of the use of a later model alternator?

If this is the case (wrong alternator) I wanted to check that all of the k11 alternators are compatible with each other? Haynes states that pre 2000 they used a bosch model with a min brush length 10.0mm where as 2000 onwards they use a Hitachi with a min brush length of 6.0mm. Is this a big problem?

As the k12 alternator is working (well it is charging the cars battery ok) I'm not sure this is causing a problem. Maybe it is something else that is causing the squeek?

Thanks for answering my questions.

Jon

Is the belt slack on the alternator?? If the alternator works on the car i would just buy a smaller belt rather than change the alternator..

I don't think it is slack (at least looking at it by eye) maybe I could have a fiddle around to stretch the belt a bit more?

In terms of belt.... I guess you mean smaller width wise? So go for a 6mm belt?

Any recommendations as to which belt I should go for?

Thanks again.

check they align as the mounting may be slightly off, get a flat edge accross the two pulleys, and check also that can be the PAS pump or belt when that happens

Back