Gone Fishing

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
WEll 3.30am Sunday morning.Tea and toast and then its off down to the Swan River to see if I can catch some fish. Mate I am going with said bream are the go so will see what may end up on my hook.
Love fishing and glad to be in a climate where you do not freeze to death trying to catch a fish.
Shorts, T shirt and sandles...... way to go!!!

cisco

» CMF Member
Watch out for brown snakes!

Sounds awesome, I love early morning fishing trips.

Tight lines!

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
WEll caught stuff all but the Swan/Canning river system is new to me so will take a few trips to sort it out.
I like to find my own spots, which bait is the best, and hate fishing in a crowd.
Do not laugh but my rig consists of a long whippy rod coupled to my 40year old side cast 6" Alvey reel that has a rosewood centre spool.
That reel has caught countless fish and has never let me down. What I like about sidecast reels is they are simple, can withstand all sorts of abuse and still come up trumps.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Wow thats an old one. But yes they're a simple and very effective reel.

Infact I think they're still made today but they're being refined with all sorts of goodies like carbon fibre and titanium!

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
Most people - me included - wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to use one of those. I would marvel at your ability to catch fish with that. Still, you might be giving the fish an even chance!

I always find catching fish a bonus anyway - just relaxing while you're wetting a line is most of the fun.

I believe there's lots of fish to be had in the Swan but they're a wiley lot and battle-hardened so you'll need to draw on all your reserves of cunning and skill. I've never had much success other than hooking lots of Blowfish. Caught lots of nice Bream down at Hopetown on the estuary.

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Gee you are right about those blowfish. Never caught so many in my life!! There must be millions of them in the Swan. Ah yes bream fishing bit of an art. Very softly softly, very light gear and stay quiet. Lot of the time they are very timid feeders and you must be very patient before you strike.Thats why I love bream fishing.Plus they are great fighters and good tucker.
There must be an export market for blowfish to Japan.They eat them over there and the ones I have seen in Japan look same as the ones here.
Hmmm time to do a bit of research.

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Now Toma. If the fish are not floating belly up they are fine.
Eat my bait and I eat them.Only real worry is heavy metals and chemicals such as chlorinated hydrocarbonates/ organo phosphates.Swan/Canning okay in this regard but suffer from algae blooms brought about non organic fertilizers. I see the Govt. is going to ban their use in the Perth area and river catchment. Man that is progressive stuff for a State Govt.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
Fishing...i haven't gone fishing for ages since the boat was sold, might dust off the gear in the next week. Alveys hey, you know i was just thinking, I have never used an alvey...ever, and i have been fishing since i was knee-high to a grasshopper. Older brothers have and they didn't like them much for the line twist. Spin reels and overheads for me. I do enjoy using my modified ABU 5600C5 MAG-X overhead kit (upgraded drag washers), althouh the 50lb braid is a little overkill for most species, its just in case i hook a mangrove jack, lol :p

tight lines,

Alex

Back