Glovebox Lighting..

Hey guys its me again ..
Just wanna clarify something with someone who is in the know..
I wanna add a light to my glovebox which is controlled by a flick or push button switch so i what i was thinking was...
Splice the 12v stereo power cable, the one which goes on and off with the ignition and power the light with that (+ve) making sure i use resistors as i think the led strip im getting is 5v (usb).. would this affect the stereo at all? and would it be safe?

and this is where i got stuck... where would be the best place near by to get negative from? or could i steal the stereos here again?

yeah its a pain getting your head unit out to get behind there into the space, i just installed my stereo today and screwed the dash up but will need to tear it down again to do the glovebox quite neatly so im just waiting to get a list of things to do and im gonna do em all in one go :D

update.. got power from stereo loom,12v always on..wired in glovebox with 5x white led's running without a resistor as when i used the ones i had they were too resistant so on monday i will be getting the right ones.. waiting on the arrival of some push to break switches for the glovebox. also wired in a 60cm led strip in the boot,waiting for the push to break switch for this too...however one huge problem im having is removing the headlight holde,still not managed it :( can someone talk me through it? its my first car and im still learning....

why dont you just take a feed from a light on one of your switches above the radio then the glovebox will be lit only when its dark rather than all of the time that is what we have done and when i get time i will be fitting a very small pin switch to operate the light off the glovebox door

or you could run a line from the ignition barrel.... Don't know why you want a resistor, just fit a microswitch in line with the lamp and a 3amp fuse.

the reason i want to use a switch is because the lighting will only be on when the glovebox is open and it will go off when the glovebox is closed.. i am doing the same with the boot, its just a project more than anything else

come on w'ell have it looking like when the fluxer is fluxing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,correctly :)

mercury/tilt switch ?

Flux-capacitor-schematic.jpg

FluxCapacitor3947.jpg

on the vast majority of cars they have something that's called chassis ground, which means that the negative off the battery goes straight to the car body meaning that all the bodywork is earthed. so you can pick up an earth off most bolts and screws, as the dashboard has a earthed metal frame. hope this helps in future

Back