ghetto turbo build page 3

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
following on from page 2
https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/75745

some cut-away pics of the piston options
CG13, CGA3 (the current ones), corsa and the LPG CG13 ones that i det,ed on week 1 page 1 :)

Attachments

• 81154.jpg
    81154.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 51

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
climberjoel WROTE:

"keep up the good work Frank, three pages of pure awesome I say! Hows the new rear suspension going?

cheers joel :) the axle project is gathering dust atm i,m afraid (tinkering with this white car is far more appealing :) )
the superior spool-up and response of the bigger exh system means that we,ve refitted the 1/2 bar wastegate setup, those skinny little CGA3 top ringlands wont sustain much more than that i guess.
but it just goes to show how much the pressure difference before and after the exh turbine effects boost and spool eh (if you have 20 psi of exhaust pressure in the manifold, and 15 psi of backpressure in the exh system, then the best you will ever get from the compressor is a laggy 5 psi eh)

Attachments

• 81169.jpg
    81169.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 46

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
axle in at last :) (all very much to plan...........strangely)
you can see the effect of the stiff setup now, the nearside shock is only half extended but the antiroll design of the axle wont let it droop

Attachments

• 82060.jpg
    82060.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 31

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
and we,re currently running a more daily d friendly GT1549, from an N16 2.2D
with a more remote mounted TD05 wastegate, and screamer pipe :) the arrow shows where the original W/G was (right where the exh gasses are concentrated to a fast flowing jet)

Attachments

• 82061.jpg
    82061.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 39

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Glenj WROTE:

"Nice, will drop the grasser off weekend frank for a overhaul ;)

sounds like you have yours sorted anyway mate :)
the GT1549 is running mint, but the TD05 needs less backpressure, so we,re doin a s/s 60mm system atm :)
1 long cherrybomb jobbie to fill the transmission tunnel ready for welding

Attachments

• 82788.jpg
    82788.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 44

CMF_k11_facelift

» CMF Member
That looks nice mate, and much much cheaper than the shop bought equivelent too. Are you trying to quieten the side exit exhaust? Only thing that quietened mine was making a chamber type silencer, using the stock backbox, which made it rear exit and about 8KGs heavier.. and it still ended up being quite loud.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
downpipe, and the 60mm side exit 4 ft cherrybomb fitted now :) so we,re spooling to 9psi @ 2.5k rpm in 5th gear now (the white portion of the gauge is 0 to 10 psi
and hooned it round our track again today the boost gauge was hitting about 13 psi @ 9 and 13 secs eh
untouched 5 months now on that stock engine with the ebay H/G......nistune and fusion basemap ftmofow

Attachments

• 83083.jpg
    83083.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 36

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
another couple of vids :)

you can see the w/g actuating rod reacting to my throttle movements eh
and this was with a small barbed fitting welded to the downpipe, and connected to the boost gauge for an exhaust system backpressure test

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
passed the emissions with flying colours today :) (with fusion nistune board, and SR20 topfeed injectors, and a pretty manky primary cat)
.005 CO (max .3) and 24ppm HC (max 200)

Attachments

• 83960.jpg
    83960.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 36

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Tinky WROTE:

"Good work Frank :) amazing it passed !

thanks tinky :) and not as amazed as me !
we found why the n/s caliper was sticking, that ring of rust arrowed was totally trapping the piston ! so scraped the rust off, and then gave them a good linishing, and lacquered them

Attachments

• 84051.jpg
    84051.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 32

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
wow frank,

They look amazing. are you going to paint them?..

Could you let me know how you cut them back so well? I've got a rebuilt set of ad22v (i believe) brakes at home and they're all black and grimy, covered in ****, but I want to clean them up like that, for a good painting foundation :D

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Pierce WROTE:

"wow frank,

They look amazing. are you going to paint them?..

Could you let me know how you cut them back so well? I've got a rebuilt set of ad22v (i believe) brakes at home and they're all black and grimy, covered in ****, but I want to clean them up like that, for a good painting foundation :D

the grinder takes the rust off pierce, then this velcro attachment gets it flat and shiny :)
and i,m gonna leave them lacquered only :)

Attachments

• 84056.jpg
    84056.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 45

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
fitted a revised rear crossmember mount, those nylon and rubber insert ones transmit too much vibration when you uprate the engine and g/box mounts (and hp :) )

Attachments

• 84183.jpg
    84183.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 31

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
fitted the low comp corsa piston engine and ragged it round mallory park :)
(onboard from msc member arnold,s glanza)
cooked the engine by 9 laps tho (and needed 6 cups of water in the rad ! )
here,s the damaged shells from cyl # 1

Attachments

• 84343.jpg
    84343.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 40

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
micratech WROTE:

"Love this project Frank!! Awesome threads man.. :)

thanks mate :)
currently running the TD05 again, and we,ve fitted the fire rings from a CR 1.0/1.2/1.4 mls head gasket under the CG H/G for a tighter seal

Attachments

• 84759.jpg
    84759.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 30

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
heh :)
yes those 12 tabs held it in place tinky, and the old CG gasket was placed ontop (silicon sealer both sides)
it got me to work and back yesterday (35 miles) time will tell i guess
we,ve also been doing another side exit this week, 63mm s/s perf and an alloy barrel

Attachments

• 84763.jpg
    84763.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 35

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
i cant touch the push mower tinky (her indoors,s heirloom ;) )
and its some weird elephant skin alloy sheet i picked up, the folded seam came out ok eh !
nearly 4 ft x 5 in dia fills the tunnel somewhat, and 2 bags of rockwool

Attachments

• 84765.jpg
    84765.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 33

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
side exit fitted
and my previous fire-ring issues are probably not helped by the open deck design of the (non auto) blocks.
the cylinders are free to expand and contract independently from the rest of the block eh (cast iron liners/alloy block).
so after 6 months of heat cycle,s, the ebay H/G fire rings lack the clamping force to withstand any boost i guess

Attachments

• 84772.jpg
    84772.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 32
Back