ghetto turbo build page 2

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
k11_facelift WROTE:

"That's quite something Frank, looks alien like :D

I take it there's no plans to go bigger then?

bigger than a TD05 matt !?
i tried it round our track this morning :D reached 5psi on 40 secs, and 7k rpm on 44 secs

and we splashed out on some of those 12 quid ebay head gaskets too (gotta get this 1367 corsa piston engine back in)

Attachments

• 78303.jpg
    78303.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 30

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
k11_facelift WROTE:

Vid looks n sounds good, how is it on the roads compared to the 10.5:1 low boost t15?

the previous kart track T15 vid shows the difference eh matt, that was instant 10psi from 2k ish, but this 11.5:1 1275 TD05 is quite laggy if you come out the throttle for a few secs.
but if you shift-change quick you can keep the tubby spinning between gears, and its instantaneous :)
the corsa piston one is about 9:1, so will be just as laggy (running less spark retard) but that one should be able to stand 1 bar+ eh

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
fired the corsa piston engine back in this week, and its confusingly very un-laggy !
found the limits of the 170/180mm hybrid clutch now tho, so gotta cobble together a 190/200mm one

Attachments

• 78609.jpg
    78609.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 28

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
cheers ed :)
been running another 11.5:1 engine with the piper inlet, on low boost lately, a setup that takes a lot of beating imo.
you have the extra power and fuel efficiency of the higher compression while daily driving, and that extra 50hp from the turbo when you boot it :)
we,ve just built a spare engine up (same spec) and did the usual water test down the ports, the exhausts never seem to leak but the inlets show the usual random dewdrops after a few minutes eh (the previous couple of heads were the same, but it does,nt seem to affect the compressions)

Attachments

• 78956.jpg
    78956.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 38

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
gonna stick with 130hp on the red car, so concentrating on more weightloss and better handling :)
i,ve been smokin the white k11 for a while now and its handling is very neutral, maybe the weight difference, or maybe the rear swaybar ? (unlike the loose backend on the red car) and i prefer the 4 wheel drift in the wet, so a different style of axle is underway.
the design is akin to the n16 and toyota glanza, but more similar to the suzuki alto really.
it only has the 2 trailing arms, but they are held to the axle by 2 bushes, so the whole axle acts as a very progressive swaybar.
and i,m using merc a class skinny rear springs around the shocks, and a bit of camber, and narrowed in width for megga dish, without any poke

Attachments

• 79752.jpg
    79752.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 40

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
heh, the old man dug out that ministox pic recently joel, i have some old vhs footage somewhere :)
and the axle design is basically the same shape as a swaybar eh, but a very rigid one !
and the only flex is in the 4 rubber bushes attached to the bottom of the axle, so that any light movement is taken up by them, but that movement gets progressively stiffer till the rubber bush locks up.
in theory i should be able to drive 1 rear wheel over a housebrick,and the other rear wheel should lift off the ground with it.
some more corsa pistons have been aquired too, and the bores honed out to 72.5 to suit, so the 1367 build is back on track :)
edit. yes keeping the drums matt, and i got the axle assy to 36kg, so not a lot of saving really, maybe 20kg ?

Attachments

• 79755.jpg
    79755.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 31

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
the high comp corsa piston N/A engine ran ok in the white car (15.5 sec 1/4 mile i guess, like the last few builds)
but these CG+T jobbies are performance on a different scale really !
we,ve cut the 90 deg bend off the TD05, and mounted a bit of a ram air duct in its place (and panel filter)
and attached them to a very sweet running CGA3 :)
gotta give credit to (fusion) ED,s nistune install and his sweet basemap too :)

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
we,ve found another £40 TD05, and done another mani (positioned a bit higher this time) and got the weight down to the same as the stock mani/cat.
they had a TD04 too, the compressor looked a good 25% smaller when compared side by side

Attachments

• 80895.jpg
    80895.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 30

CMF_ToToL

» CMF Member
Hello Franck2,i'm following the tread while buying my turbo conversion parts and egine rebuild,i'd like to fit corsa pistons, but i'm confused about the engine you took these pistons off.Is the straight 4 X12XE or the 1 liter 3cylinder engine? I hope to take as fun as reading you with my project,it help me waiting the parts and know what to avoid when working on my little sh*tbox (name given by my wife!..).
Keep up the DIY cheap and smart engineering job!

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
we can only muster 5 psi with the stock exh system on (and the wastegate wired shut) hardly any boost in 1st eh, but fairly instant in the other gears, the white portion of the gauge is boost (the rest is vacuum) and the gauge tops out @ 10 psi (which i hope to achieve with the ram-air and side exit exh) :)

Attachments

• 81028.jpg
    81028.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 29
Back