Getting a wire through the firewall

angrygoose

Club Member (Trial)
Hello everyone, thought I'd make my first post on this site a stupid question, start as you mean to go on and all that.

I'm trying to get a wire from the battery for a central locking box, but I can't work out how to get it through the firewall. There are a few spare gromets on the engine side, but I pop those off and there is (what I assume to be) fibreglass insulation behind them. I'm guessing I need to knock a hole through the plastic behind the fibreglass to get 'inside' the car, or can I just feed the wire down the partition with fibreglass insulation? I can't see where it would come out 'inside' the car. This is in a 2000 3 door Micra S. Any tips?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Yeah, it's definitley not carpet.
I've found a picture of it that someone else has put online:
http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums...ra 2000 edition - System Upgrade/RIMG0046.jpg

It does look like it goes 'down' between the layers, I might have another go and try to poke it down with a coat hanger or similar.

Also, is the centre console 'frame' a possible ground?

Sorry for all these daft questions, this is the first micra i've owned. I've always had fiestas before this and I wasn't so bothered about knocking holes in those because they always rusted to bits anyway.

Hmm, i thought thats what the carpet looked like from the back.

And i presume you mean the cage that the stereo fits into? If so then no, its not a ground point.

I think I can feel the back of the glove box through the hole, might have a look tomorrow with a torch.

Oops, I didn't think it was. I'm guessing there will be a ground nearby, I'll have to dig out the ol' haynes manual.

Thanks for your help.

Back