Soundproofing firewall

CMF_Hardy

» CMF Member
Hi everyone!

The engine compartment of my 1.3l micra is generating much of the noise into the cabin. A look inside the engine bay reveals hardly any room for firewall soundproofing. Is it possible to *easily* (or at least without much hassle) soundproof the firewall area?

I have visited soundproofing people, and they are loathe to do it even if I am willing to pay the high cost of workmanship -- they say they have to remove the entire dashboard, the airbaged steering column, and if necessary, the whole engine.

Is there a sneakier way to get around this problem? Anyone? Thanks in advance :)

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Try soundproofing under the bonnet first.
There are plenty of self adhesive materials around. Just cut it to shape and apply.
You may be surprised how much differance this makes.
I feel most of the outside noise is road noise more so than engine. You could also do the inside of the doors and also the boot.

CMF_Hardy

» CMF Member
Hi White Knight

Thanks for your reply!
I've already installed a large sheet of soundproofing material under the bonnet cover. It helps, but not by much.

In my case, I've put my head under the steering column with the engine running, and it sounds like the noise is engine noise, as the car is stationary. I guess there's also road noise coming in once the car is moving, but if I can mute the engine sounds it would be a nice change :)

Back