Geoff W Conversion to Turbo Almost Complete :-)

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Well you read it right. Today the car got towed to my best mates workshop for the final reassembly before the dyno tune.
All that's left to do now is bolt the air filter on, Bolt the valve cover back on and put the upgraded injectors and rail on.

Then off to the dyno for some final touches on the cruise module which allows under 50% throttle to be in a economy mode and then once that magic 50% is reached whoosh... fuel guzzler away!!

More pics and comments to follow.... watch this space :p

CMF_Gareth

» CMF Member
Hi Geoff, congratulations mate,

Is this the same project you started on like a year or two ago? And here was me thinking that you had given up on the Micra scene.

Good to see that I was wrong and that it is still alive and well. I look forward to seeing the photos

Cheers:)

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Yes this is one and the same. Life as usual has presented a few difficulties along the way. As I'm sure all of you know this is how it goes sometimes. I'm not incredibly well off so I'm forced to wait longer for the cheaper job costs. But good things come to those who wait eh! It feels so close it hurts. All in all it's taken 9 months so far since the project was given the green light. Thank goodness for company cars :)

Gareth how's your little beast going these days? I haven't heard too much about your pride and joy either.

If anyone is wondering what Geoff W looks like. Check the member description i.e. Click on my name.

Oh yeah and don't worry I'll be scanning in the dyno sheet and it'll be posted aswell.

CMF_Gareth

» CMF Member
My car is still going strong. It has now done 172000 k's so thats almost 50000 k's since the conversion was done. The only problem I have had was caused by some bad fuel.

I am almost at the point where I need to decide if I sell it and buy something new with airbags, ABS, warranty etc (Nah). Or source a low k engine and go down the forged path. I know which way I would prefer, I still love the Micra, and the fact that it is so unique.

There is also a real chance I will be heading over to Dubai to work for a couple of years, so it may be up for sale in the very near future:( This could be within the next couple of months. I pretty much have been offered a job at a massive golf resort there, but it is a big move for me and my family so requires a lot of thought and questions answered. Has any one ever been there? It's meant to be a great place.

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
man jobs in dubai going everywhere, i was offered to apply and go over there for 1 year, but decided against it. id rather be close to family and friends than chase that extra money, plus id be bored over there by myself.

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
That's great to hear Gareth. About the car as well as the job offer. Sounds like a great opportunity. And even if you don't take it up it's still nice to be just offered chances like that.

I have a chance of going to Fiji for 2 weeks doing some GPS mapping for a proposed Resort over there. However because of study commitments I will probably be unable to go. But still it was nice to know I was in the running.

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Oh yeah back on topic of the car.
There's been a slight delay in that now the intake manifold has come off so that a full custom Fuel rail with top-feed injectors can be fitted.
We tried modifying the factory injectors by drilling out the holes in the end a bit. This was supposedly done with great accuracy by a machine shop promising great results. But once we had em back yesterday and flow tested them the results were abominal.

One would flow 400cc/min and the next 600cc/min. Cant have that. So i've bitten the bullet and gone the full custom route.

Quick question: Does anybody know what the coolant lines through the intake/throttle body are for? I imagine that they're to aid the warmup process when starting from cold. My mate Jason just discovered this when he took the manifold off yesterday. This is the first I've heard of it.

cisco

» CMF Member
Exciting Geoff.. Keen to see it and hear all about it when you get behind the wheel!

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Ok time for an update.

This is what Powerflow in Melbourne came up with for me. Extremely happy with the result. About the only thing that would have made it better would be to have made the billet rail about 1" longer so the threads of the fittings at each end didn't foul the first injector feed. Some Earls fittings sorted that out anyway.

Powerflow deal with mostly race cars and top end street cars. Skylines/supras and the like. Thus the current setup is definately overkill. But I can never say I will run outta fuel!

They made up the rail, fitted the top feed injectors and made the adaptor for the new throttle body. I am yet to confirm what the throttle body came from however I'll be sure to let you know. The drama with that is that the throttle cable will have to be turned 90 degrees to link up with the throttle body. Another obstacle. Ah well. This is the way things go.

Anyhow enjoy. And yes it was costly, however when you consider the sum value of the parts supplied it brings it into perspective.

Attachments

• 27681.jpg
    27681.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 38

CMF_JKL

» CMF Member
Check it out!!!

What type of injectors are they?
Your adaptor and throttle body almost looks like a Dominator sitting on top there...

aaron WROTE:

"Yeah it controls the thermowax element and what not i believe for idle, etc..<BR><BR>i tapped those lines as the water source for my turbo..<BR><BR>Shouldve did something like my fuel rail :) Mated CG13+SR20DE rail>

Very interested in that one for mine... Im looking at my injector and Fuel rail options at the moment.

CMF_Dark Side

» CMF Member
Yes sure is a work of art. Well done Geoff. We are awaiting the rising
of the beast. As you said been a long and winding road but you are nearly there.
Cisco, when its finished needs a place in the Forced Micra section.

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Cheers for the great comments guys. It makes me feel better that everyone else likes it too. Sometimes I feel like a crazy person for doing this.

Today Jason and I (but mostly Jason!) re-installed the intake manifold. It was interesting to say the least but we plugged away. Doing something like this makes you realise why mechanics charge the fees they do. There's vacuum and water hoses going everywhere!

The only things left to rectify is the throttle cable linkage and some new injector plugs to match the top feeds. Then it should be time for fuel saturation :p

Then some tuning and yay. I know there'll be something else pop up but I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

By the way the throttle body is still unidentified. It seems similar to a Subaru design so I'll have to keep an eye out next time I have my head under the bonnet. Powerflow just had something lying around that was about the right size and would still allow the piping to hook up to the throttle body with minimal fuss. This is because the piping was made up with the factory throttle body in place.

Here's some pics of the progress

Attachments

• 27706.jpg
    27706.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 33

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
It's your imagination. I have had to remove the A/C for the intercooler. The plan was to try and keep it, but it was just a little too much stuffing around. The alternator and things just stayed where they were.

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Im planning on making the car my weekend beast, with occasional blasts on a short circuit or hillclimb.

I'm a member of the Local car club the Newcastle MG Car club, who operate a short 30sec hillclimb circuit and the Famous King Edward Park Hillclimb. This year will be the 50th year of the event and has had such drivers as Jack Brabham participate over the years.

cisco

» CMF Member
Seeing a turbo micra at the King Edward Park hillclimb would seriously be something to see. I would love it. Get in there!

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
Nice geoff!

Only thing I'd do is get a proper catch can setup...I had one like that hanging off the rocker cover and you will get a crapload of oil vapour and what not coming out of it..and its no good for fuel lines etc that are near there...can cause them to deteriorate and crack...Plus your engine bay gets filthy quicker

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
smidge WROTE:

"running the PCV to the catch can or just having the can vent to the atmos?

Has to be connected to the catch can and then plumbed back into the intake to be emissions friendly.

If you get a decent catch can with an oil/air seperator you will have stuff all oil get into the intake. Its definately the legal way to go.

smidge

» CMF Member
any particular mods you had to do to any systems that use VAC pressure to operate?

one way valves etc? does the boost running through it give you any grief with the cooling system?

coming along nicely!

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Thanks smidge.

Im a little unsure of any changes needed to vacuum operated systems as I didn't do this part of the work. All that credit goes to my mechanic/best mate who I'm sure is very on top of things like this.

As for cooling system, I've not run the car for about 6 months so unsure of that one too. Although it has been tuned on a dyno for base maps and there was no problems then. Standard radiator and new thermostat about 1 year ago (which equals about 2000km!!!)

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Hey Bushido thanks for your comments. Havent seen you on the site for a while.

How bout you make a separate post of some updated pics of your car. I just read your profile and it sounds like the goods. Very interested to see other micras and what people have done.

CMF_Bushido

» CMF Member
yeah been busy with work latley, not so much time to get online.. the march is off the road at the moment, my wifes bike blew over in a recent typhon and dented the side panel and hood pretty bad. have the hood off now.. getting it banged out and repainted.
once I get it back together Ill post some pics

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Okay People!!!

Big News! My car came home yesterday :) woo hoo....

After many many dramas and delays due to circumstances out of our control, My good friend and genius mechanic completed his part of the work yesterday.

All that's left to do now is to get a final tune to ensure that injector duty cycles line up with Throttle position etc. Really minor stuff really.

Jason has set up a base map in the EMS and let me tell you even on 6psi the push into the seat is quite surprising.

So here's some pics and a couple of videos for you all..

PS Dyno graph to come.

Ha ha Caption: Its got balls :p

Attachments

• 33824.jpg
    33824.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 32
Back