Gearbox painting?

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
Hi all,

i'm picking up a Ga16 gearbox for my 1.3 tonight and it is mildly corroded so i want to clean it up with a wire brush and then protect it...

SO. if i protect it with paint do i have to use high temp paint or will normal paint do?

or...

is there a better way of protecting it? possibly anodising *spell*

any ideas? it's gonna be well corroded now cos its sitting out in the rain waiting for me to pick it up and i'm at work ARGH!!

Thanks ppl :)

If you can, bead/glass blasting (sand might get in box and stick) that'd clean it up a treat, make sure cover all ways into the box.

There is no need to protect it. I definately wouldnt bother painting it, it would be a waste of time and in a few months it would look terrible

ok thanks guys,

i picked up the box and i think a good clean is all it really needs :)

anything i can do to the inside? run some oil through?

i want to toughen the box up, is anodising the best way to strengthen the gears?

and what is the first to go in a gear box? while i have it off the car what should i replace? :D thanks ppl

Just put it on an drive! You will most probably find that is all you need to do :)

NeX said:
ok thanks guys,

i picked up the box and i think a good clean is all it really needs :)

anything i can do to the inside? run some oil through?

i want to toughen the box up, is anodising the best way to strengthen the gears?

and what is the first to go in a gear box? while i have it off the car what should i replace? :D thanks ppl

You could always send it off for reconditioning if your worried about bits breaking etc. Would be alot cheaper to do that whilst its off the car instead of when its fitted.

First bit to go - the mount!!!

Make 100% sure that all the mounts are secure on the engine and the mount. Remember the problems i had.....
Also make sure all the wiring is ok - i.e for the speed sendor etc.
Any probs PM me

Titch :kungfu:

Anodising is a process which thickens the aluminium oxide protective layer on the outside of aluminium parts. It does little to change strength.

You cannot do it to steel. The only way of strengthening gears is to have them replaced with a stronger material or design. You can risk attempting new heat treatment of the gears, but the techniques that are used are already fairly advanced to give a balance between strength and durability.

Painting the gearbox any other colour would mean it would look crappy quite quickly.

I noticed with your use of road salt metal gets crappy looking quite quickly. So in this case I'd clean up the casing and paint it in a clear enamel. This will provide a protective layer between the road salt and the aluminum. Should keep it looking newer a fair bit longer.

There's no reason why you can't go for a shiney looking engine bay though. Just beware, polishing things to shine can be highly addictive. It was for me with my old N14 SSS....

thanks again ppl,

some really usefull stuff :)

i thought there was a different form of anodising that toughened stuff? i know about the one where you dye the oxide but i think there is another one that strengthen things... i may be wrong :)

basically i want to put stupid power through the box and i want to make sure its up for the job...

i think i will get out the drill and wire brush, clean off the oxide and then laqure it so that it doesn't oxide so quickly next time. then like Titch said i'm gonna sort the mount out REALLY well :)

i just think with the gearbox being one of the most important parts of the transmition i wanted to make sure it was cared for :) don't want to go and do a cisco now lol... or a Titch :p

thanks again all :D

Titch said:
Oi! lol

Keep it in good nic and it'll be fine mate :)

nice one titch mate,

don't suppose you have any pics of your gearbox mount?

thanks

Um - aye i will do. Car is off the road the now and engine is coming out so can get detailed pics on all the work we did. Trust me, getting the box machined on to the engine took a lot of time and patience..

NeX said:
i thought there was a different form of anodising that toughened stuff? i know about the one where you dye the oxide but i think there is another one that strengthen things... i may be wrong :)

Do you mean shot-peening like on springs?

Back