Gearbox Oil Change

I know this has been covered in a lot of threads (And I've read most of them) but there's little info pertaining to the coilpack gearboxes. From what I understand there should be a drain on the side at the bottom (Which I've found) and a fill plug on the front (Which I haven't found but I probably haven't looked enough)

Now I'd rather fill the box with the full 3 litres rather than the 2 and a bit that I can do with the front fill plug. So is it possible to still fill through the non-mechanical speedo drive as you can do with the pre-facelifts' mechanical one? It looks the same (apart from the electrical plug) but is it possible?

Hi Bonner,

Yep it's fine to fill via the speedo drive on coilpacks. Won't you risk overfilling the box if you put in the full 3 litres rather than just replacing what you empty out?

Hi Bonner,

Yep it's fine to fill via the speedo drive on coilpacks. Won't you risk overfilling the box if you put in the full 3 litres rather than just replacing what you empty out?

Ahh good, thankyou. I suppose I do run that risk but It'd probably be worth measuring how much comes out. I'll have to pour it all into bottles to take to the tip anyway so I'll measure how much comes out and replace the same amount. I just don't want to risk underfilling it really.

a tip is to stick the oil dipstick down the speedo hole to measure the gear oil level is at the max line.

Back