gearbox advice for turbo setup

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
right well this week i had planed to change my clutch, i have a paddle clutch at mo but it crap for traffic. there is no 'bite' to it. its either on or off. good for launching but thats about it!

i have had a look at the bolt on page and might look into changing the gearbox to a primera or almera one.

after what happened to cisco 2nd gear i dont want to go down that path.

so if anyone has changed these gearboxes over or has any advice on what i should do regarding the gearbox please let me know.

at the moment i have got an helix racing paddle clutch disk and an uprated clutch plate again from helix. also lightened flywheel (4.2kg).

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
RS5F31A from a GA16 powered Almera or Primera would bolt on.
RS5F31V would be best, it was probably an option on these cars in some european markets.
GA16 powered N15 would be the best source for the viscous box, reasonably common in Japan from what I've seen.

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
good stuff mate thanks. would i still be able to use my current flywheel and clutch as it is now, or would what comes with the gear box be better and stronger?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Electrical connections wont be an issue. They will be easily resolved if connectors are different. Speedo drive can be swapped.

Driveshafts will be where you will have the majority of your woes.

You will be able to use your existing flywheel and clutch. I suspect you'd be able to use the GA flywheel and clutch if you wanted though.

To get driveshafts you're going to be looking for jap built cars. Sunderland never fitted an rs5f31v to any of the vehicles they've produced.

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
in that case what would be the stronger option in my case running a turbo? presume the GA clutch as it would be bigger hence stronger, no?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Mate K11 1.3 30a gearbox clutch is 180mm friction surface and the GA16 31a gearbox clutch here is a 190mm friction surface.

Theres probably a much larger range of uprated clutches for the GA16.

No point in me saying what we've got here because it'll be cheaper for you to find out what you've got available to you in the UK.

cisco

» CMF Member
Try to find an LUK brand 190mm heavy duty clutch.

Your existing flywheel will work fine.

Yes driveshafts will be the biggest issue as per the advice from the other guys. You can either:
- Get custom ones made up.
- Try to mix and max existing CVs and shafts from other Nissan models to try to get something that fits. I explored this option a little but to no avail and ended up forking out around $2200 for perfect custom shafts. Mind you they are unbreakable, but did the job just fine, well more than fine! But I would have preferred to find some existing factory option that would have saved me lots of cash. Oh well :)

Good luck!

My old UK factory micra workshop manual did say that they fitted the 31V in Northern Europe for snow/ice conditions.

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
i got a heavy duty clutch in there now. 190mm am sure. its just the driving round town, in traffic etc...its poo, the paddle clutch!

cisco, what happened all togeather with your gearbox. 2nd gear? you just rag it silly or something?

think for now i will just change over the clutch disk to the one i bought from datrats. but i have been told its just as good as the standard one! what you think?

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
A cheaper option is getting the pressure plate retensioned

Shafts from the automatic are supposed to fit the 31 box. EVLGTI's 31V has been fitted with standard shafts.

I've also seen manuals saying 31V used in Europe

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
cheers i will have a look into it. for now i'm just replacing the paddle clutch with the datrats one. hopefully by end of this week.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah I think my gearbox just eventually wore out, probably originally caused by a worn bearing or something.. Combined with plenty of power just stripped the lot.. If the bearings were all perfectly tight in the first place, no idea whether it would have happened just from raw grunt.. Maybe, who knows.. Blue monster was quick at that stage, but not super quick, that was still only with the T25 turbo, even before it made the really big power with the T28BB.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
EVLGTI's 10s N14 runs the standard RS5F32V box with more than 300kW at the front wheels. Failed bearings & the case cracking between bearings killed a couple of boxes. With the case welded up & good bearings it lasted more than a year.
On the strip it gets launched in 2nd gear with the clutch dropped at more than 5000rpm. http://www.micra.com.au/community/member.php?userid=1419
30-31-32 just look like wider versions of the same theme.
The 31V was the factory front drive box for CA motors. It handles CA18DET engine swaps without having any reputation for being particularly weak. It should be plenty strong enough for a turbo CG13 setup providing it's in good order.

CMF_EVLGTI

» CMF Member
If a Standard 1800cc N14 GTi gearboxes can handle of 360kw at the wheels.Then a RS5F31V will handle anything a Micra Turbo can produce.
As for pressure plates you can have a standard Nissan one retensioned.
The one I use in the GTi is a Nissan fwd N14 Pulsar pressure plate that has been retensioned to 2300lbs of clamping pressure.
Most common problem has been cracking housings although we have fixed that by welding all the webbing and filling the gaps with weld.

Back