Gear transmission's Problem

CMF_zine

» CMF Member
I bought a Nissan Micra SLX auto, the mileage was 180 K. It cost me $4000. It was O.K for the last 4 months. However, the gear transmission went wrong yesterday as the mileage of 200 K and I was imfomed that I need to chage the gear transmission which will cost me around $1,500. Should I fix it or sell it?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
A manual conversion in australia won't leave you much change from $1500 if you pay a mechanic to do it.

What does this get back on the road fro $1500 quote comprise of?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Don't bother. You cannot get the correct fluid in australia and if it is not leaking then it wouldn't have gone anywhere. But since your current one is knackered.. WHy not. Buy a Haynes from Supercheap (they're only $50).

A few people have changed the fluid and then suffered failures later down the line.

Alex_B's father has a CVT micra with the original transmission fluid. Vehicle has done well over 200,000km I believe and not a problem.

BTW - $1500 is a pretty good price if you get at least a 6 month warrenty with the transmission.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
$1,500 is an excellent price for a CVT replacement. I assume you mean it's "as new" with warrenty type overhaul?

Remember that Micras are very durable and provided that everything else has been well cared for you should get another 80,000K's no worries.

Mychael

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
I should expect you'd be able to get an RS5F31 box, gear change mechanism, clutch & brake pedals, clutch/flywheel for less than $1500 (it'd be about NZ$500 here, (NZ$200 from pick a part))

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
No use when we don't have the driveshafts to suit the 31 series in a micra though.

It is true though - an auto to manual conversion in an N14 or N15 pulsar would come in under $1500. Easy.

Back