gain on the amp

hey guys, i have amped up my 689s by a jbl 400 watts amp. it has 2 things which can be controled by a scredriver. anyone know what the 'gain' controls or does?

the gain control depends which way its set is telling the amp to turn the volume either up or down. Id recommend you set it to zero / neutral / off / whatever your option is

Gain control is not a volume control, it's to match the output of the headunit preouts with the input level of the amp. By matching the headunit signal output to the amp input, you will gain maximum power/amplification from the amplifier :)

What headunit do you have, and what amp/speakers do you have? The more info you provide, the more we can help you!

The only reason i said that was because ive got two identical amps, one powering the front and one doing the rears. The gain on the rears is higher (by accident) than the fronts. If the headunit is set smack bang centre, the rear speakers are alot louder than the fronts

Also, the gain control on my Dj Mixer increases or decreases the volume depending which way its set. You can use it in combination with the channel volume to get the perfect sound match - in volume - to the other channel

Arnold said:
The only reason i said that was because ive got two identical amps, one powering the front and one doing the rears. The gain on the rears is higher (by accident) than the fronts. If the headunit is set smack bang centre, the rear speakers are alot louder than the fronts

Also, the gain control on my Dj Mixer increases or decreases the volume depending which way its set. You can use it in combination with the channel volume to get the perfect sound match - in volume - to the other channel

I know that dude, wasnt having a dig at you, sorry! :blush:

With car amps, gain controls are simply used to match one piece of equipment (i.e. the amp) to another. They shouldnt be used purely as volume controls :). Of coarse, this can be different with other equipment.

Back