Fuel Line

CMF_TeamSnow

» CMF Member
A quick question if anybody thinks they could help me. My micra has been cutting out on me repeatedly, and after lenghty discussions with a mechanic friend in my pub, he assures me its probably just my fuel line thats probably gotten full of rubbish fromteh bottom of the petrol tank, as the prev owner of my car (grandad) never let the petrol go lower than a quarter tank. With the car being a 1994, could anyone tell me or desribe to me a procedure i could do to the car myself to remedy this, i will point out i have very limited knowledge of car mechanics. Im not even sure where the fuel line is on the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Ham

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
1) Buy a new fuel filter from nissan (these are the only filters i know of which have a guarantee against faults/filter element collapsing)

2) Pull fuel pump fuse, start engine. Allow it to die a few times (this depresurises the fuel system)

3) Remove old fuel fulter. You will spill a little bit of petrol in doing so. Be careful where you put tools/fuely rags.

4) Install new fuel filter. tighten up clamps - but not too tight. If you make it too tight the rubber hoses will crack after a while and this is BAD!

5) Put fuse back in and turn ignition to ON. This will prime the fuel system again. Inspect the hoses and fuel filter for any leaks. If it leaks, tighten a little bit more. Engine should start happily once the fuel system is pressurised again.

Now take your old fuel filter which should still have a fair bit of petrol in it. Start tapping it on the conrete or something solid. If you tap it on the fuel inlet you should start seeing lots of black crap start coming out of the filter. Watch in horror.

Now - nissan also have bottled fuel injector cleaner. May be worth adding this to the tank as well.

If this doesnt solve your issues - well, try a few other things i suppose. :p

CMF_TeamSnow

» CMF Member
Well thanks a lot for the responses. Quick and ill try the fuel filter idea. Heres hoping it works. And in response to the other comment, it cuts out whenever it feels like it. the only common things are that the clutch is down, and im going slower that about 30 to 40 miles an hour. its mostly when i pull at a junction or roundabout, it just stops, and if the music is even half way up i cant tell as the engine is so quiet. So you can imagine how many people must wonder what the hell im doing. Or laugh thinking ive stalled it! On the motorway its not cut out at all. Thankfully. And thankfully im imobilliser (fitted about 8 years ago so im sure it not to do with the problem) give me about 15 seconds to start again. im embarased to admit one or two times ive just bump started it again as im still travelling at about 20 mph. Im just getting so annoyed at this! Anyway im just rambling here. honestly greatly appreciate your comments. thank you. lets hope the new filter will work!
Ham

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Hmm could be throttle body.
Go it Information and there is an excellent description on how to fix without buying a new/ recyceled throttle body which will cost you a lot of money.
How many kls/miles have you done??

CMF_TeamSnow

» CMF Member
My car has only got 67000 on the clock. Because i got it from my grandad second hand. I have actually raided his garage and found the actualy nissan official mechanics books. Along with other things he had collected over the years. So its going to help me with my fuel filter change. My grandad got this book from my uncle who worked for nissan at the time. So if anyone needs anything written in this book just ask and ill send what it says.
Im just going to go read the throttlebody suff just now. Sorry for taking so long to reply, but was on holiday! thanks for more replies.
David hamilton

CMF_TeamSnow

» CMF Member
Hello again, Sorry again for the delay. Im actually curently lookin for a local business taht will copy the book as cheap as possible. i will let you know the price of this asap. if i cannot find anyone suitable, i wilk think about posting the book to you, but obviously this is kind of worrying sending to someone i dont know. Ill get in touch as soon as i have prices. I wil also email you incase you dont check this update.
Ham

Back