Fuel consumption

Just got a R reg Micra 'Shape' (1998) 1 Litre.

For around £25 worth of petrol, I've done 80 miles of driving (about 10 miles of it motorway, the rest mixture of A and B roads).

I don't think this sounds right....

Does anyone have any idea of this is right or not and give me any clues as to what may be wrong?

I used to get roughly the same out of mine... there was one time I got 80 miles to 30 quid! I put it down to three things

1) full boot (3 pairs of shoes, battery, tool kit, jump leads, polishes etc)
2) my driving style
3) the car was in desperate need of service

... I've now sorted the car out so it only has the essentials in it, I have started changing gear lower down the rev range and I forked out quite a bit to give the car a proper service...

I'm now getting close to 130 miles with 20 bar now... makes it easier as I can't afford much more a week lol

I purchased the car on Monday from a trade place. They told me they had done a full service and replaced the clutch.

I am considering going back to them, but if they refuse to help, can any garage service the Micra or does it have to be a Nissan place? Or would a £79 Quick Fit Service be OK?

Thanks.

Fuel filter, oil filter and oil are easy to do yourself and cheaper than a garage. Main reason I'd do it is that you'll know it's been doe PROPERLY and with PROPER parts. Not something you can guarantee with a back street service :).

£145 for a service?????
You can buy the parts required, a DIY manual, and the tools required for the job for less than that.

Have you checked exactly what your fuel consumption is?. Do do this accurately you will need to fill the tank completely, drive a reasonable distance then refill the tank.
Miles driven divided by fuel used, if you have a calculator it's easy to do.

Soft tyres, wheel alignment out of kilter and binding brakes will all ruin fuel economy.

Roger.

if the fuel consumption is too high, check out the chain that moves the valves (do not know the english for "catena di distribuzione")... one guy of the micra club italia had monstrous consumption due to problem about the chain (tensioner, if i'm not wrong)

Back