Front Shock Absorbers

I am pretty sure my front left shock absorber is dead. When I go over a bump you can hear it extending back as I pass it. Somehow, the garage who done my MOT passed it last time?

I am lowering and putting new alloys on so as I am doing this I may as well replace the front shocks. Anyone selling any or know of cheap places. I dont know if scrap yards are a good place for these as they may be broken and a bit of a mission as ill have to bring my own jack ect.

Cheers

Yeah that sounds fine to me. Only lowering by 35mm so factory should be fine. I'll replace both the front ones - so how much you looking for both including postage? Im 5 minutes from Gatwick Airport if that helps.

K11 Facelift. I shouldn't need a spring compressor to get the shocks out should I ? I had a look earlier as my wheels are now off, looked straight forward but not sure how much compression is in the spring.

K11 Facelift. I shouldn't need a spring compressor to get the shocks out should I ? I had a look earlier as my wheels are now off, looked straight forward but not sure how much compression is in the spring.

you can remove the leg and spring complete phil, and the leg is about 3 kg without the spring btw :grinning:

Well I've tried but those bolts are rusted on:down:, I have soaked them in 3in1 Oil version of WD40 and I'll going to find out if I can get something with a bit more leverage from work.(Y)

Phil, I wouldn't advise you to remove the springs off the shocks yourself, better ask in some friend's garage for help. It's dangerous thing.
You'd need a spring compressor:

media.nl

Managed to get one nut off, lol. Because the 18" bar has a 1/2" socket dosn't fit my whatever inch it is I had to use a reducer but this is too big to get behind the brake caliper so I'm going to a 11/16 socket from work to fit the 1/2" lol. Sorry for the wait.

They're off and my mate will be bringing in sping things so I can get them off. I'll have a price for you by 2pm Friday hopefully.

Yeah it's a pain, lol. Having trouble getting the Nut off the spindle, going to try loosening the spring and trying the nut again. Will keep you up dated.

You can "lock" the spindle with pliers (not the ordinary, the one that actually lock whatever you catch and squeeze) and then unscrew the nut :)

Might stick it in the Vice, the spindle section that is and the get a friend to hold up the shock while I attempt to loosen the Nut.

Ryan, I'm not in work tomorrow, but I'm going to give it another go Thursday.

Hi Ryan ,they're both off now. been looking on ebay to see how much there going for roughly, how does £20.oo posted sound?

Back