found a patch of oil under my car

alien10

Ex. Club Member
went to the shop this afternoon and noticed a patch of oil under my car, i've had a look under the bonnet and i've found were its going from but don't know what to do to sort it. it seems to have stop leeking which is good, but iam not sure why it did in the first place.

heres some pictures of were the oil is coming from, on the first picture the white dots show were the oil has come from.

plz help

Attachments

• oil pic.jpg
    oil pic.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCF0403.JPG
    DSCF0403.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 261
  • DSCF0404.JPG
    DSCF0404.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 244
Are you sure it's coming from there and not just running down there? It may be a gasket gone somewhere near it.

iam not sure, how would i be able to check.

its the only place the oil is, turned the engine on and it runs.

if its a gasket how will i know, and how to you fix the problem

I'm not really sure how to check, maybe someone else will. When I thought I had a leak it turned out my oil dipstick was hanging out.

thats the first thing i checked, it was in all the way and the oil level is ok to, might have a look round the engine tomorrow and see if i can find were is was coming from.

depends what's leaking. i wouldnt worry too much my old engine used to leak oil, its quite common in old engines from sump plug/gasket or oil sendor

and i doubt head gasket would be an oil leak, more likely burning water/overheating/loosing power

Get some gunk on there then you'll be able to see where it's coming from. Got the same problem on me brovs 1.2 and it's worse than yours :down: I was thinking of aquiring some Gasket renovator, you stick it in with your Oil and it reseals the seals and gaskets..

mine get some of that gasket renovator just in case

so my cars not moved since friday afternoon, and i noticed the pactch has now got bigger.

now iam worried is the car going to die, or can i save it from that

it won't die as long as u keep it topped up. mine leaked but a lot of oil goes a long way, when a you leak a bit it spreads quite far!

oh, right i might get garage to have a look at it to see what it is, if its the head gasket, i'l get a new one off ebay, well the one in the link above

doubt it will be head gasket. also to change a head gasket isn't that easy espesially if u have to have it skimmed aswell.

It looks like the Head gasket thats gone to me, so yeah, get a kit but just to be on the safe side pop into a Garage that has someone has recommended not some backstreet sideshow....

rocker cover gasket leaking down the engine????

or yes probably headgasket cant see it coming from anywhere else tbh

yes it is frank,

cant see how the cam seal could leak down the front of the block but you never know i guess,

but i'd say its rocker cover going by how much oil there is

it has been over heating the past week

right got a garage to have a look at it tomorrow afternoon, told him about the leak and he recons the gasket has gone or going out

alien10

best to diagnose it first, is it drinking water ?

don't think so, i put some coolant in the radiator at the begining of december and i filled it to the top, its not as full as i had left it, but i don't think its drinking it, how can you tell.

i top the water bottle up once a week.

alien10

if its not drinking water, it could be a waterpump, thermostat, rad fan or airlock problem
you best not go spending £150 + parts +vat on a "suspected" head gasket
i think the bottle is just a spilltank ?

oh

this is starting to sound like a witch hunt lol

had to put some more oil in it to day, cos the il light came on this morning for a brief second.

well the garage are only going to find were the problem is before i get it fixed, when they tell what the problem is, might see if its cheaper for me to get the parts and them fit it or for them to get them and fit them.

right the cars back from the garage, its my head gasket thats on its way out.

its ok to drive the car as long as i keep an eye on the water/oil levels till the week after next, when he can get to sort it (he's on hol next wk and going abroad).

its going to be skimmed and a new timing belt all for £100, ask'd him if him skim it by 2mm and he said yes.

he's a friend of the family so i get a bit of a discount lol, told me if i get a new back box before he sorts the car out, he'l put that on too :laugh:

so once thats sort'd my car will be back to normal, and i can go about doing it up again.

he's a friend of the family so i get a bit of a discount lol, told me if i get a new back box before he sorts the car out, he'l put that on too :laught:

so once thats sort'd my car will be back to normal, and i can go about doing it up again.

good price for the repair that :) 2mm does sound a lot (had to change it to old money to visualise lol) but I'm sure if you have say 20 thou lopped off instead of a minimal skim it will do it no harm :)

sorry just realised to put that into perspective- 1.5mm = about 60 thou

Back