For those in the know :)

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
Q1

If you have a filter on the outside of the car and it's raining what effect will this have and will it damage the engine?

Q2

Could you have two turbos on a micra, each only fed by two of the four exhaust pipes and then have each of the turbos with a different spooling time so that you get more boost? kinda like having a super turbo but with two turbos.....

Q3

What is a good syle of driving? i try to keep the car under 2000 rpm until it's warm and change gear before 3000rpm does this actually prolong the life of the engine? and is there anything else i can do?

Thanks loads guys :) (and girls :p)

you could have filter on the outside. wet shouldnt cause too much problem. but if its tipping it down some kind of top cover could be in order. a few modern car have tis variable tiwn turbo setup now. small turbo for low down then at certain point the bigger turbo cuts in to give big power. dont know what you mean by the different exhaust pipes though.

Manifold possibly, only 4 pipes i know of?

Wouldnt the air filter be damaged by the water? I assume it would suck water in if its raining, or the water would stop air from getting thru the filter at least.

thanks beachboy,

i will be running a filter under my bonnet scoop. but the scoop seems to like gathering water as well as air,

exhaust as in the extractors, where the exhaust first comes out and then goes to the turbos,

what does water do to the engine?

the oil should protect the filter and the carbon deposits should stop the engine from rusting....

if you want to look after your car dont rag it,,if you do rag it things wear quicker!

i don't go above 3000 revs unless its on the motorway and i run out of gears. but i do floor the accelerator, does that do harm even if it isn't revving high?

my car lives upto 7k rpm. every day.
water sogging could stop air getting into the filter, but it would only be on one side really. and water going past filter shouldnt cause a problem. as tiny bits of water in the induction can increase performance. but it would have to be very fine to be of any use.

that's ok then,

so if i put a filter right under my scoop it should be fine even in snow etc?

if i go 2 ltr than i'm gonna rag my 1.3 before i take it out to see what it can do :)

every car will be ok hitting the rev limiter in every gear !!!

but its just that some cars are made better than others so they will last longer,,:)

btw the micra is very well made..he he,:)

Until the engine is warm there are bits of the engine that are not fully lubricated. This is where the damage occurs (bearings etc) and sharp throttle use is just as damaging as high revs because it puts sudden load on things. Try and stay smooth in accelerating/braking all the time. The other thing is regular oil and filter changes, this stops build up of corrosive chemicals and limits the amount of crap eg dirt etc in your oil/bearings.

ok so flooring the accelerator is not good, i'll keep that in mind.

what about carbon deposits ? is it good to use super petrol to clean the engine?

i put in bosch four point sparks in the car, will they actually help to reduce carbon?

he generally means flooring it when cold, or high reving when cold is not too good. as for when it warm, then it upto you how much care you take reall and if you want to have fun trying to go as fast as possible with gear changes etc. obviously its going to be a bit more rough on different parts compared to if you are gentle. but tolerances are quite high.
cotton gauze filters can apparantly take 6 inches deep of dirt stuck to them before they dont work anymore. wouldnt fancy trying it myself though.

Yeah that's what I meant, cheers BB! Sudden acceleration/deceleration increases wear on things like your cam chain, bearings etc but I doubt it would be that noticeable unless you drove like Colin McRae everywhere!

Used to work for Dominos Pizza & their C90 mopeds did 80k+ miles per year. Never warmed up, always short journeys, 5 miles max & always caned. Properly run in and serviced they'd last like that for 4-5 years, no problems & more were written off than blown up!

Plus the older they get the looser the get so 70mph was easy enough on a single cylinder 90cc engine :p

i bet it doesnt take long for a 90cc engine to warm up? probably under a minute?

I reckon around half the time of the micra, say 5 mins? I'ts got a smaller surface area so doesn't hold the heat as well as a 4 cylinder block plus a 1litre micra has 250cc cylinders so the cylinder is only 3/5ths the size of the micra but not getting the extra heat generated by the other 3 cylinders. The oil capacity is over 1litre, could be as much as 2, so again is a significant fraction of the micra's

Given that the average delivery area is 3 miles, time with customer a couple of minutes, plus time in the shop, it's theoretically possible to ride the bike all night without properly warming it up!

Ah well C90's are crap anyway :)

i found one in a scrap yard... they are sooo tacky.

Haha, careful mate, I learned to weelie on one of them and could do a passable rolling burnout! Admittedly they have crap suspension and no ground clearance but that just adds to the fun :) They have big rubber footpegs too so you can see how far you lean by how much is left :D

Top fun!

yea i agree mopeds are great for Pi$$ing about on but when you want to actually go somewhere you need a bike with gears,

my brother had a 50cc vespa and i have a 125 aprilla

he could just make 30 and i could easly do 90 :)

Haha, fair play but you need a proper bike too ;) How long you had it for?

Edit: C90s do have gears... 3 speed semi auto box! :laugh:

Anyway, so far off topic it can't be seen on a good day. Sorry! :glance:

hehe well i've had my bike for a while but now it's sitting in the garden under a clver getting rusty :down:

i keep promising myself that i'm gonna rebuild it but i spend all the money on my micra...

the starter motor has gone in it and it desperatly needs new brakes but when it was running is was so fast and so easy to ride. i recon i could have beaten my micra on it...

it was some kind of import bike so its all in KMs and had Italian documents in the back....

it's supposed to be a touring bike (big chunky back tire and high suspention and a low front mud gard with a smooth tire on the front) but it does well on road and off.

i took it off road as a short cut and did some massive jumps and broke the fork seals Doh!

but then while i was zipping round a country lane it threw me off and i spent a day in hospital and i haven't riden it since :down:

Hehe, been there! Don't let it put you off though! Guess parts are expensive for an import aprillia!

Back