Flatscreen TV's

plasma is a gas held between glass plates and electric current is transferred through it to create a picture.

LCD is a 'pool' Liquid Crystals which also have current being passed through to arrange the crystals to make a picture.

average life span for a plasma is 6-8 years ie it fades as the gas disapates
average life span of LCD is almost lifelong, lcd screens start from 3inch up to 50"

plasmas start at 40" and go to 120"

the average resolutiuon of a 42" plasma screen is 800x600 and the resolution of a 42" LCD is 1280x1024 on average, the higher the res the more pixels therefore better clarity.

LCD is the best quality out of the two BUT the price difference is alot, HI- Definition is avaliable in both but the LCD wins everytime, plasma is getting better but still has a pixelated look to it close up unlike LCD.

There are alot more good/bad points about each type but those are the main ones.

well that just about invalidates my previous post, i'll just edit this then :) ........okey dokey, done.

sounds like a good breakdown of pros and cons there.

paddymarsden said:
plasma is a gas held between glass plates and electric current is transferred through it to create a picture.

LCD is a 'pool' Liquid Crystals which also have current being passed through to arrange the crystals to make a picture.

average life span for a plasma is 6-8 years ie it fades as the gas disapates
average life span of LCD is almost lifelong, lcd screens start from 3inch up to 50"

plasmas start at 40" and go to 120"

LCD is the best quality out of the two BUT the price difference is alot, HI- Definition is avaliable in both but the LCD wins everytime, plasma is getting better but still has a pixelated look to it close up unlike LCD.

There are alot more good/bad points about each type but those are the main ones.

lol do you work at dixons/curry's?.......i smell a sales man :eek:

Plasma's don't need re-gasing that often unless they're defective, a good point to plasma is they have a glass plate to protect them, LCD's don't, so scratch it and it's not covered by any warranty.

The visual difference between LCD and plasma is starting to shorten with LCD's starting to match the size for plasma's. Plasma's tend to have either an "e-box" or a "fat ass" for the tuner and stuff, LCD's are quite compact in that regards.

If your plasma breaks outside warranty, get the credit card out, if your LCD breaks, I wouldn't be too worried, well, thats the ones I deal with anyway :D

Oi!

pretty much true tho, once sold a £3000 plasma about 10 months ago and now its sooo out of date. ah well thats technology for you........

Did you want the extended warrenty with that ?

defo, im not talking crap but dixons/currys/pcworlds coverplan is the best, one of payment drop it and get the most up to date model !! no extra,

LCD's are getting huge now, i think the biggest one to date ia 103 inch, weather that is commerically available or not i don't know. Probably is in the far east.

I deal with Philips mostly for the TV side, if the LCD panel breaks, pixels die etc it's only like £100 for a replacement as long as yours can be repaired or it's near enough the price of a full unit, Plasma's are pricey but usually the X or Y boards, or PSU breaks, a PDP costs near £1000 :S

Personally LCD's imo look worse than plasma, some much much worse. They are getting much better, some are now very nice and you do get some bad plasma ones as well, but at least you will never get screenburn on LCD unlike plasma. Its due to the polarisation of the LCD crystals that LCDs generally have a narrow viewing angle compared to Plasma. Technology is improving this. Plasma does not suffer from this as the pixels actually emit the light unlike LCD which is back lit.

Ian said:
LCD's are getting huge now, i think the biggest one to date ia 103 inch, weather that is commerically available or not i don't know. Probably is in the far east.

Biggest plasma is 103" and the biggest LCD is 82".

From looking at TVs, I still think plasma gives a better quality image. The contrast ratio is much greater, viewing angle is much greater. You seem to need to spend a lot more to get a comparable LCD.

Ed said:
Personally LCD's imo look worse than plasma,

Totally agree. Ems & I have been looking at different plasmas and LCD's and i thought the quality of most LCD pictures was awful in comparison to plasma TV's!

I dont think anyone's going to worry about the gas running out or whatever in 8 years time, as in 8 years, plasma's will probably be dead cheap anyway, and they'l be far better TV's out there!

I have a 46'' Toshiba plasma and a 40'' Samsung HD LCD and also a 36'' Toshiba CRT in my bedroom.

Got to admit tho I prefer my CRT tv for the picture quality, I know I have a HD tv but no point until you get HD broadcasts!

Just checked on the plasma re-gasing, on average it's 8 years, which I still think isn't good as I'm sure my TV is over 8 years old!!

Anyone who's played a fast game on their LCD monitor should notice "slowness" and "shadowing" as the crystals can't keep up but plasma's are instant reacting, bring on Halo2!

There's a whole new range of screens due out this year, organic LCD's is the one we're working on next, wonder if I can get parts easy enough, more work for me.

paddymarsden said:
Micraskyline you are the man for technology, when i came to your house last year i thought i was in a futuristic Dixons !

As said earlier all out of date now!!!

Off topic but look what I got in!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3013_edited.jpg
    IMG_3013_edited.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_3011_edited copy.jpg
    IMG_3011_edited copy.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 204
goldstar0011 said:
Anyone who's played a fast game on their LCD monitor should notice "slowness" and "shadowing" as the crystals can't keep up but plasma's are instant reacting, bring on Halo2!

By the same virtue though, flickering when you use a sub-optimal signal source is much more aparent on plasma. LCD response time is much better now than 5 years ago.

rofl you say that.. but i saw some new acer monitors and the screen was like 20ms response time or something, ti was so pathetic, stuff was warping all over the place.. but generally they are much much better, you typically get 8ms now, so nice to use :)

Back