Fitting the tacho

Rob..

Ex. Club Member
Ok, done a search and its all abit vague. People just saying 'tap into the dizzy' or 'run a wire from the ECU'.

From what i understand i need a live, earth and a wire to the dizzy. Which wire in the dizzy am i looking for? And where did you guys attach the live wire to? Pretty sure it wouldn't be the battery lol. Also where are these wires attached to on the back of the clocks?

Pictures and/or a detailed explanation would be well appreciated. Supose someone could even make a guide of it. (tho tell me first as i no longer have access to guides till i renew my membership)

Ill try and get my pics online, but it involves moving my radio again :p

Basically, the dizzy. Its simple, I used a scotch lock, but then eventually just wrapped the wire arround it, but you basically need to locate it, and make sure you DONT break it, youre pretty screwed if you do!

If you cant find it, and its Bright Blue, (engine off and cooled as its quite hot there)
Grab one of your the leads going to the spark plugs, at the other end, thats the distributor. If yours isnt touched, it should have what looks like a 5/6mm tube going across the front face of it. Look in there, and thats your blue wire.

Power;
For my positive power, I dont know if ive dont it right, but it goes onto the +ve for my radio. Using that, it only powers up when the ignition is on, thus not draining power.

-ve or Earth, at the bottom of the centre console is a good spot, as there is already a earthing point there, of which I just connected to.

After that, give it a try, if it powers up but dosent record anything on the Tacho, go and check the connection between the blue dizzy wire and your wire. Mine was a bit tricky.

Also, runing that wire into the cockpit, I went through the same gromit that my amp power lead is run through, seemed to do the job.

Hopefully post a picture or two up for you tomorow, its late now, and cold.

Ill convert this into a set by step guide if my pictures turn out alright.

Also, on a side note, my setup is for a external counter, not built into the clocks, but I assume its the same principle. Please correct me if im wrong.

Back