Fitting the coilovers

fraz_micra_88

Ex. Club Member
a mate of mine is fitting the coilovers, ive had a search but with no luck!

this is what my mate said

"dunno, never worked on a micra before lol.

allan keys possible, ball joint splitter, large hammer, depends what the struts look like, do you have to remove the brakes and hub from the driveshafts on the front, to change the struts?"

what is exactly needed to change the coilovers ect, any help would be great :)

Two nuts on the bottom - you will need (ideally) two breaker bars and do the old to me-to you as teh bolt can rotate freely in the lower mounts.
The two at the top also need to be undone - changing to coilovers is easy as you just undo the old strut and replace it with the new unit.

Brakes are easy to swap to, just two nuts (15 or 17mm IIRC) and of course the breake pipe, but you only really need to remove the disk for a bit of access if required.

Two nuts on the bottom - you will need (ideally) two breaker bars and do the old to me-to you as teh bolt can rotate freely in the lower mounts.
The two at the top also need to be undone - changing to coilovers is easy as you just undo the old strut and replace it with the new unit.

Brakes are easy to swap to, just two nuts (15 or 17mm IIRC) and of course the breake pipe, but you only really need to remove the disk for a bit of access if required.

thanks matey

Oh, and be careful when undoing the top nuts, you need to have the wheel on the ground, otherwise the nut will fly off and you will either (best case) never find it again, or (worst case) find it in your eye/face.

dont undo the top nut.......

it will come out with the strut when you undo the two strut mounting bolts.. then if you need the top hat, (which im almost possotive with the D2's you dont) leave them alone...... there should be no need to remove it.. and as mentioned could be dangerous to do so.

the bottom nuts and bolts are 17mm, you should be able to get them off with a ratchet and a spanner.. (well i did)

and the calipers are 17mm too....

easy peasy

Fraz, the two bolts i bolted ur strut brace onto hold the assembly into place! Easy enough to do matey!

If you plan on removing the top the top mount from the strut get a pair of coil spring compressors . You can then take the strut off complete, use the spring compressors to take the pressare off the top mount, undo the big nut safeley and then undo the spring compresors to release the spring. Just remember to tight and release the compressors evenly Otherwise the spring will bow and could jump out. Treat a compressed spring with respect. They cacn cause alot of damage if it makes a bid for freedom!

and you don't need to touch the brakes, hub or driveshaft to fit the coilovers.
you may struggle with the panhard rod as the bushes on the old one sieze onto the axle and bolt, just use an angle grinder to cut the bush on the lower point and cut the bolt on the top point if they are stuck.

i hope you can get new pillowball top mounts because when they start to get worn and get play in them you will fail a mot because of it, granted the mot tester tests it properly that is

Back