Fitting front seats into the rear

paddymarsden

Iggy Iggy oooooooooo
I have a plan of ripping out the rear seats and installing some front seats. So the car will only carry 4 people but each person will have a proper single seat with tilt control.

My question is will this effect my insurance and will it be legal ?

i understand there is alot of engineering / metal work to be done but im looking forward to the end result....

it should be legal as citroen c2's come with 2 seperate seats in the back as standard and i think halfords ford focus show car has done this

Cool!
I thought about one centre rear seat!

Defo would have to change V5 and most likely tell insurance because it would need to be safely fitted.

Seats would need some proper work to fit and would need to have access to petrol pump under rear seats.

Good idea, let us know where you get with it

i saw a revs car many years ago have 4 sparco sprint seats welded in, 2 front 2 back, so it is possible and is legal but as gary has mentioned, the V5 would need to be changed.

it's not possible if you just take a set of front seats and weld them to the floor in the back because they will be too high up. i think they will still be too high up even if you take the sub frames off so you will need smaller seats or at least take the head rests off. make sure before you do any cutting or drilling or welding make sure you TAKE OUT THE PETROL TANK!! lol don't want to see your car go up in flames...

but you could relocate the fuel tank and cut out the fuel tank recess and put down some metal plating so that the floor would all be at the same level... that wouldn't be too hard but the car would be off the road for about a month and you'd loose boot space...

but good luck, can't wait to see what you come up with :)

Yeah thought it may be difficult as the rear is raised up making it too high for front seats, but let us know how you get on. :)

yea but you are still going to have the issue of getting them to fit ontop of the petrol tank. there ain't enough space between the roof and the top of the petrol tank for full on seats with headrests and subframes...

but still good luck :)

Good luck with this. It will be interesting to see if it works. I dont think its a waste of money either - its something different that no-one has done in the club so far.

i think the best way to go about it is:

get the seats and take off the sub frames and headrests.

take out the back seats and fold back the carpet.

remove the centre seatbelt and the sockets and use the existing sockets on the seats

jack up the car and carefully take off the petrol tank. (see haynes)

then depending on what the bottom of the seats look like, bolt or weld them on to the top of the petrol tank recess.

check that they are straight and level.

re attach the petol tank.

then go to a scrappy and cut up some old floor carpet to cover up the leftover metal

put in the vertical back bits to cover up the gap to the inside of the boot.

then if there is room, attach the headrests :)

that is probably the cheapest and quickest way of doing it... also remember that the floor is fairly flimsy with no dedicated mounting points so if you do some hard breaking you could loose the back seats lol

cant wait to hear how you get on :)

Back