engine swap

C

chie

whats the easyest way to swap a motor without a hoist?
btw its a cg out then a cg in

cheers

old one out the bottom,then new one up thru the bottom,,,only way i can see u doing it mate

I would take the gearbox out first, from underneath. Then take the engine out underneath on a jack with a mate supporting it to stop it falling. (If you think you will struggle to get the front high enough, take the head off the engine. You will need to do this BEFORE you take the gearbox out really, so the engine is firmly supported). Its a bit long winded but easier in the end, and you have less weight to get out.

getting it out you could take the gearbox out, then drain all the oil out, take the head of and then get a couple of mates, and a few bits of strong pipe, like scaffolding poles and a chain, if it works on a renault 16v engine then it should work on a cg, just try to find mates the same size and if you can weld the chain to the pipes, like i saw a mate did it with his renault 19 16v and he had 2 engines out and back in in a day.

i took mine out the bottom,jacjt he car up as high as you can,udo the engine mount and everything,with jack under the engine,then lower it down carefully
nothing hard about that :D

me mates just doin his pulsar over winter, bit of a rebuild and to see whats inside as we reckon there could be some nice aftermarket internals in there :) so with some long axle stands we reckon if the car can be lifted high enough and if we can lower the engine/box (with the head off) onto a sheet of mdf it should slide out from underneath as mdf slides like buggery on concrete/tarmac

may be useless to ya but this is the plan so far unless we can get a hoist and engine stand

i did this with mine and it fits under the car whole!! lol

getting it back in could be a problem,i hire a engine hoist for 25quid for 3 days so we could get things lined up for the 1.6,but you need it for like half an hour lol

gimme a shout if you want a hand btw. We did ok taking that last engine out :)

edit: Maybe you should resrict your throttle too for breaking it in, cos i know what your like! :p

the majority of the things you have to disconnect to get the gearbox out, are between the gearbox and the body, and therefore will have to come of anyway, so really other than the starter motor and a few bolts, taking the gearbox of first isnt really that much of a detour

thanks people for the help, i gotta pull my finger out and get it finished off so i can bolt it in :p

You wont be able to move the engine far enough sideways to get the gearbox input shaft out of the clutch plate. You need to remove the gearbox. As 'super' says its not too much of a big job, I can swap a gearbox in mine on my own in about an hour, getting it back on is the hardest part.

Back