Micra will not start :(

CMF_Matttouring

» CMF Member
Hi there a 'newbie' here im new to Micra's so finding this site was great as ive not long bought a little beauty for my Mrs its a '95 1.0L and she loves it only thing is it has a couple of faults first is its always had a problem ideling fom cold just cuts out all the time untill warm then idels fine any ideas what can cause this but main prob now is that she went out yesterday and not got far up the road when she lost all acceleration the engine was still running but she had no power so she turned the engine off then tried to re-start but the car just will not start now it turns over but doesnt seem to fire not sure what to check first as i cant see it being fuel or spark related as the engine was still running just there was no power and also throttle cable still looks intact any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Matt

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
matt

mine will tickover with the fuelpump fuse removed but not rev, i assume it sucks the fuel thro the injectors, so maybe a pump failure ?
there is a idle control valve (black stepper motor at the front of the throttle body, and i think a thermostatic fast idle that works a cam on the throttle quadrant on the n/s rear of the t/b
also a black plastic idle mixture screw (allen key) on the o/s rear of the t/b

frank

CMF_Matttouring

» CMF Member
Is there a way to test the fuel pump as its an expensive bit of kit to replace if thats not the problem
will have a go at the idle if i ever get it running again :(
also i have been reading about the re-soldering of the TB is there a chance that this maybe the problem

Matt

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
matt

the t/b solder problem usually causes an erratic tickover when warm i think and wont cause a non start
if you carefully remove the fuelpipe on the top of the filter, it should sqirt out and then turn the ignition on,it should gush out (best to run a pipe to a container eh)

frank

CMF_Matttouring

» CMF Member
Frank

Cheers for the quick response ill give it a try and see what happens ive got my fingers crossed its not the pump though as ive had quotes of around £100-£150 for a new one not sure if this is good or bad

Matt

CMF_Matttouring

» CMF Member
frank

Lol no im in Swansea S.Wales that was a renowened expensive breaker around here but it was first one that popped into my head just phoned loads in yellow pages in my area and have managed to find 1 for £30 so its getting better but ive been told theres 3 different types so i have to take mine out
will try to look for the guide you speak of

Matt

CMF_nik8765

» CMF Member
Exactly the same thing happened to my 96/97 micra. I have tried replacing the sparkplugs, ht leads and fuel filter but it still just turns over with no firing. If i put a little petrol straight in the carburettor it starts but only until it burns this up. Did you have any luck with replacing the fuel pump as this was my next step? Also i have heard stuff about mass air flow sensor problems but have no idea about this?

Nik

CMF_Peter Felix

» CMF Member
Would it be possible for any of you guys to send me a scanned picture of the Fusebox cover located near the steering wheel?

Since my Nissan March '97 is a Japanese model, everything is written in japanese! Hence, I have no idea which fuse is for what.

This morning the car won't start. It seems there is no spark. I need to check the ignition fuse, fuel pump fuse & the injector fuse.

thanks for the help.

Peter

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
peter

i lost my spark the other day, and it was a poor contact on the ecu main plug, but yours is more likely a dizzy fault imo

Attachments

• 34714.jpg
    34714.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 46

CMF_Peter Felix

» CMF Member
Thanks Frank,

This seems to be just the right name for it!!

I will check everything this evening and see if she starts.

Regards,

Peter

CMF_Peter Felix

» CMF Member
Greetings everyone!

Finally, after three days of struggle where everything was checked and doubled checked - we started the car yesterday evening. No faults were dicovered. A friend of mine and myself removed the tappet cover, aircleaner box, diconnected all the engine connectors, removed the spark plug wires & the sparkplug. After this, he blocked the first two sparkplug holes with the palm of his hand and asked me to crank the engine. The same thing as done to the other two sparkplug holes. This way not only did we remove the excess petrol from the cylinders but also were able to check the compression. We then sprayed Philips 'Contact Cleaned'on every connector before putting them back on. After this, the sparkplug cables were re-connected and we cranked the engine. Some oil did fly around but the engine fired up and ran for a few minutes. We then put the tappet cover and the aircleaner box back and started the engine - perfect it runs smooth as ever.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Regards,

Peter

Back